$7.14 RECIPE / $1.79 SERVING
If you’re one of those people who has trouble incorporating vegetables into their diet (and who doesn’t?
This Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry is going to be a hit. It’s packed with vegetables and quite tasty. The cherry on top? It’s made with low-cost vegetables, so you can feel good about yourself and your money. Winning!
CAN THE BEEF BE SUBSTITUTED?
Yes, you may prepare this dish with any type of ground meat you like! I believe pork or even ground turkey would work just as well, if not better, than beef and would be far less expensive.
If you want more protein, use a whole pound of beef, but I found that the half-pound I had supplied me with the perfect meat-to-cabbage ratio.
WHAT OTHER VEGETABLES SHOULD I INCLUDE IN THE BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY?
For color, I added shredded carrots and chopped green onion in addition to the cabbage. You can add a variety of different ingredients to your beef and cabbage stir fry. Try including some of the following vegetables:
- sliced mushrooms
- thinly sliced red bell pepper
- water chestnuts
- snow peas
- baby corn
MAKE IT EXTREMELY FAST!
You may definitely skip the 1/2 head of green cabbage and carrots indicated below and buy a package of pre-shredded coleslaw mix instead.
It’s sometimes a more cost-effective purchase, and it prevents you from having a half-head of cabbage left over. 🙂
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
Easy Egg Drop Soup, Thai Cucumber Salad, Savory Coconut Rice, and Pork Gyoza work well with this Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry. Most of the time, however, I just eat it plain! To increase the serving size, put it over a bed of rice.
BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
STIR FRY SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce ($0.18)
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil ($0.33)
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha* ( $0.05)
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar ( $0.02)
- 1/2 head of green cabbage ($1.78)
- 2 carrots ($0.22)
- 3 green onions ($0.17)
- 1/2 Tbsp. neutral cooking oil ($0.02)
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef ($3.90)
- 2 cloves of garlic ($0.16)
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger ( $0.13)
- Pinch of salt and pepper ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds ($0.08)
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha ($0.05)
- First, make the stir fry sauce. Combine the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside the sauce.
- Shred the vegetables ahead of time so they’re ready to go when you’re ready to use them. One small cabbage is cut in half, the core is removed, and the leaves of one half are finely shredded (4-6 cups once shredded, save the other half for another recipe). 2 carrots, are peeled and shredded using a cheese grater (1 cup shredded). 3 green onions, sliced 2 garlic cloves, minced Use a vegetable peeler or scrape the edge of a spoon to peel a knob of ginger, then shred it using a small-holed cheese grater.
- Over medium heat, heat a large skillet. Add the ground beef, garlic, ginger, and a bit of salt and pepper once the pan is hot. Brown the beef in a skillet (about five minutes).
- Continue to toss and cook the cabbage and carrots in the skillet until the cabbage is slightly wilted (or fully wilted, if you prefer). Combine the prepared sauce and the green onions in a mixing bowl. Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and a sriracha drizzle.
* 1 tablespoon sriracha equals a medium-spicy stir fry. I’d start with 1 tsp if you don’t enjoy spicy food. I wouldn’t recommend omitting the sriracha because it provides taste as well as heat.
NUTRITION IN BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
- Serving: 1 Serving
- Calories: 195 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Sodium: 756 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING A BEEF AND CABBAGE STIR FRY
- Make the simple stir fry sauce ahead of time so it’s ready to use when you need it. 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil (it has a dark amber color and a VERY nutty flavor, but isn’t typically labeled as “toasted”), 1 tbsp sriracha, and 1/2 tbsp brown sugar in a small mixing bowl If you’re sensitive to heat, start with 1 tsp sriracha to produce a medium-spicy stir fry.
- Shred the vegetables after that. One small cabbage should be cut in half, the core removed, and the remaining half sliced into fine shreds (save the other half of the cabbage for another recipe). You’ll need 4-6 cups of shredded cabbage for this recipe. 2 carrots, peeled and shredded (about one cup). To shred the carrots, I used a large-holed cheese grater. 3 green onions, sliced You’ll also need to mince two garlic cloves and grate around a tablespoon of fresh ginger (I use a small-holed cheese grater for this). Here’s where you can learn more about working with ginger.
- Over medium heat, heat a LARGE skillet. Add 1/2 tbsp neutral cooking oil (canola, maize, vegetable, safflower, peanut, etc.) while the pan is heated, 1/2 pound of beef, minced garlic, grated ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the steak until it has completely browned.
- Continue to heat and toss the shredded cabbage and carrots in the skillet until the cabbage has wilted somewhat. I like a little crunch in my cabbage, so I only cooked it until it was halfway wilted. Cook the cabbage for a few minutes longer if you prefer it fully cooked and tender.
- Toss in the cut green onions with the prepared stir fry sauce. Stir everything together until it’s completely smooth.
- Serve the Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry with a sriracha drizzle and a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top. The texture that the sesame seeds imparted to the meal was really appealing to me!
That’s all there is to it! One of the simplest things I’ve ever made is this Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry.