You’ll adore this orzo recipe with fresh vegetables if you’re seeking a vibrantly distinct side dish!
In zucchini orzo, tomatoes, zucchini, and parmesan are added orzo, a tasty pasta that resembles rice. This side dish is so amazing that you’ll return to it repeatedly.
Although orzo is frequently mistaken for rice, it is actually a little type of pasta that is slightly larger in shape than rice. You can serve it hot or cold (as an orzo pasta salad).
It works well as a side dish and holds up well in soups or salads.
We enjoy it since it goes well with nearly anything and has a mild flavor and firm texture.
How to Make Zucchini Orzo
This orzo recipe is quick and simple to prepare while still being gorgeous.
- Cook zucchini with onion in butter and garlic (per the recipe below).
- The orzo should be cooked in broth until it is soft. Add tomatoes and pesto and stir. Allow it to rest under cover.
- Add half of the Parmesan cheese and the diced zucchini. To taste, re-season with salt and pepper.
Add the remaining Parmesan cheese and parsley to the dish as a garnish (optional).
This filling side dish pairs wonderfully with nearly any protein-based main dish, such as tender pork chops.
To turn it into dinner, add some cooked chicken breasts or serve it with Air Fryer chicken.
Making Zucchini Orzo
This creamy, cheesy, and colorful Zucchini Orzo is delicious. This spaghetti side dish goes great with any entree!
|15 minutes to prepare
30 minutes for cooking
time period: 45 minutes
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth or as needed
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 small zucchini diced, about 1 ½ cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish optional
Instructions for Zucchini Orzo
- Boil orzo with broth and Italian spices. If necessary, add additional liquid as you boil the dish for 13 to 15 minutes with the lid off until the orzo is cooked.
- Slice the zucchini into 14-inch pieces while the orzo is cooking.
- Zucchini is added after the garlic and onion are fragrantly fried in butter. Cook until tender for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and pesto to the cooked orzo. 5 minutes of relaxation undercover. Add 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese and the zucchini. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If preferred, top with additional parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
For up to 4 days, leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Calories: 269 | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 767mg | Potassium: 374mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 616IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 1mg