These Vegetable Breakfast Scrambles are one of my favorite quick breakfast bowls (they take less than 10 minutes).
Many of my daily meals consist of a jumble of odd foods from my fridge tossed into a bowl or a wrap.
While I don’t consider these “recipes,” they might inspire some of you, so why not post them? I’ve included my current combination of vegetable breakfast scrambles below, as well as some other components that I occasionally include!
ADDITIONAL BOWL OPTIONS:
You can basically put anything in these bowls, but here are a few things I’ve done in the past:
- mixed baby greens
- broccoli (chopped fine)
- cheese (shredded cheddar or feta are nice)
- chipotle ranch
- roasted vegetables
- green onion
- black beans
VEGETABLE BREAKFAST SCRAMBLES
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter ($0.03)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced ($0.25)
- 2 cups spinach ($0.50)
- 2 large eggs ($0.50)
- seasoning of choice* ($0.05)
- 6 grape tomatoes, sliced in half ($0.34)
- 1/4 avocado, sliced ($0.13)
- 1/4 cup hummus ($0.37)
- pinch salt and pepper ($0.02)
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the diced bell pepper and sauté for 1-2 minutes once the butter has melted. Add the spinach and cook until it has wilted (about one minute).
- Push the vegetables to the sides of the plate and crack the eggs in the middle. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Scramble the eggs in the skillet over medium heat, tossing them in with the vegetables. Remove the skillet from the heat when the eggs are almost set.
- Toss the cooked eggs and vegetables with sliced tomatoes, avocado, hummus, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Serve right away.
*This time, I used Trader Joe’s Onion Salt seasoning, but I’ve also used Cajun seasoning, Jerk seasoning, “Everything But the Bagel” seasoning, and plain old all-purpose seasoned salt.
NUTRITION IN VEGETABLE BREAKFAST SCRAMBLES
- Serving: 1 Serving
- Calories: 434 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 26.3 g
- Protein: 18.8 g
- Fat: 28.7 g
- Sodium: 1356.1 mg
- Fiber: 9.8 g
STEP-BY-STEP DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING VEGETABLE BREAKFAST SCRAMBLES
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon butter. Add 1/2 of chopped bell pepper and sauté for a minute or two once the butter has melted. Then add two cups (about two handfuls) of fresh spinach and cook until wilted (about one more minute).
- Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and crack the eggs in the middle. Using a seasoning blend of your choice, season the eggs and vegetables (I used Onion Salt today, but there are more ideas for seasoning blends)
- Continue to scramble the eggs and mix them in with the vegetables over medium heat. Remove from the heat after scrambling the eggs just until they are set.
- Add 6 sliced grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup hummus, 1/4 of an avocado (sliced), and a touch of salt and pepper to the vegetarian egg scramble in a bowl. Done! Also, it’s delicious!