Green beans that are still tender are combined with cheese, crunchy fried onions, and a quick creamy mushroom sauce. Add more fried onions on top, then bake the casserole until bubbling.
To complete the ideal feast, offer this as a side dish with your roast turkey. ( Green Bean Casserole)
A Traditional Christmas Casserole
Green bean casserole is my favorite. Dorcas Reilley created this variation of Campbell’s bean casserole in the test kitchen! The majority of us grew up eating a variation of this every Thanksgiving.
I enjoy it because it makes me think of my youth, even if I also enjoy homemade bean casserole.
- It takes only a few minutes to prepare, making this the simplest side dish ever.
- Perfect for adding anything from bacon to water chestnuts to garlic.
- It is possible to prepare it ahead of time, and bake it in a baking dish right before serving.
- Add more parmesan cheese and buttery Panko to the top, or perhaps some crispy onions.
Green Bean Casserole ingredients
BEANS, GREENS You can use fresh, frozen, or canned ingredients in this recipe. Fresh or frozen ingredients will lend some texture, while canned ingredients will make the casserole softer (and need more salt added to the recipe).
Cook your beans, whether fresh or frozen, until they are tender-crisp, which should take around 5 minutes for frozen and 8 minutes for fresh.
If using frozen green beans, you can omit the boiling step, however, I find that the texture is better after a little cooking period.
MUSSEL SOUP this dish is so simple due to the addition of the mushroom soup (and is the base of the creamy mushroom sauce).
Any “cream of” soup, including homemade condensed mushroom or chicken soup, will do if you’re unable to eat mushrooms in this recipe.
RUBBER ONIONS This recipe relies so heavily on crispy fried onions (also known as french fried onions) that it is occasionally referred to as French’s Green Bean Casserole.
If you’ve never had them, they are delicious and go well with burgers, casseroles, and other dishes. They are included in and on top of this casserole!
CARROT CHEESE Although it is optional, this is better with cheese, like most things. I strongly advise including it!
Instead of using canned sauce, make your own homemade mushroom cream sauce.
Add a minced garlic clove, a few roasted garlic cloves, or a little garlic powder.
Green beans are simmered in chicken broth. For your stuffing, save the drained chicken broth!
Making a Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This dish has been popular for a long time for a very simple reason. It tastes good. Every aspect is perfect.
- If the beans are fresh or frozen, cook them. (If they are canned, drain them)
- blend sauce Mix milk, soy sauce, pepper, and mushroom soup together (per the recipe below).
- Add cheese, some fried onions, and green beans to the mixture.
- Bake and Top Add more fried onions on top and bake until bubbling and golden.
- To Get Ready in Advance
You can prepare this dish up to 48 hours in advance. Follow the recipe’s instructions, but don’t forget to keep the crispy onion topping in a separate container so it doesn’t get soggy. I often sprinkle them before baking and place them in a sandwich bag that is sealed.
Before baking, take the dish out of the fridge at least 30 minutes beforehand. You might need to add up to 10 minutes to the cooking time if it is chilly.
Make everything except the final 10 minutes of baking if you’re going to someone else’s house for supper and bring it with you wrapped in tin foil! Add crispy onions on top and bake till bubbling and hot!
How long does to cook a casserole of green beans?
Only five of the forty minutes required for bean casserole are spent in preparation.
The green casserole can be prepared up to a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator before baking, saving you valuable time while preparing the remainder of the meal. Keep in mind that you will probably need to add some extra time if your bean casserole has been sitting in the fridge.
Although I occasionally spend the effort to make a Fresh Bean Casserole from scratch, I must admit that this recipe makes me nostalgic for my youth. The flavors and simplicity are wonderful!
- 4 cups frozen cut green bean defrosted
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt or to taste
- 1 ½ cups crispy fried onions divided
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded, optional
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Boil green beans, whether fresh or frozen, just until crisp and tender.
- In a casserole dish, mix the soup, green beans, milk, soy sauce, pepper, salt, 1 cup of crispy onions, and cheese (if using).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes uncovered, or until bubbling.
- Stir after removing the oven. Add the remaining onions on top and reheat for a further 10 minutes, or until golden.
In this dish, beans can be fresh, canned, or frozen. Use one of the following options in place of frozen beans:
- Drain 2 cans of green beans (14 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 pounds of cooked and trimmed fresh green beans