Andrew Cuomo is a well-known American politician, author, and lawyer who has served as the 56th governor of New York since 2011. Andrew Cuomo was re-elected to the position held by his late father, Mario Cuomo, for three terms.
Andrew Cuomo’s net worth is estimated to be $5 million. Andrew Cuomo receives a hefty salary as the governor of New York.
“All Things Possible: Setbacks and Success in Politics and Life,” Andrew Cuomo’s autobiography, was also released in 2014.
- Gov.Andrew Cuomo announced that he is about to propose a bill that “redefines domestic terrorism” on Wednesday, 13th August 2019.
- Last week, Cuomo proposed a four-point plan to tackle gun violence in the US.
What Is Andrew Cuomo Well-known For?
- Cuomo is famous as the 56th governor of New York and for his support for same-sex marriage.
Andrew Cuomo’s Childhood: Birth Date, Parents
Andrew Cuomo was born on December 6, 1957, in the New York City borough of Queens. His given name is Andrew Mark Cuomo. His ethnicity is White Caucasian, and he is an American. His astrological sign is Sagittarius.
He was reared in an Italian home by Mario Matthew Cuomo (father) and Raffa Matilda Cuomo (mother) (mother).
Mario’s father, Mario, was a US politician who served as the 52nd Governor of New York. Matilda, his mother, is a former First Lady of New York and an American advocate for women and children.
As a result of this, Andrew became involved in politics as a teenager.
Andrew Cuomo attended “St. Gerard Majella’s School” in 1971. He finished high school at “Archbishop Molloy High School” in 1975. He graduated with honors from “Fordham University” in 1979.
In 1982, he also received a JD from New York’s “Albany Law School of Union University.”
His four siblings are Margaret Cuomo, Maria Cuomo Cole, Madeline Cuomo, and Chris Cuomo (a journalist on CNN).
Andrew Cuomo’s Career?
-Andrew Cuomo began his political career in 1982 as the campaign manager for his late father, New York Governor Mario Cuomo.
He subsequently spent two years as a senior counsel in his father’s firm, earning only $1 per year.
*Career Struggle And Success:
- In 1982, Cuomo moved to New York and started to work as an assistant district attorney.
- He started “Housing Enterprises for the Less Privileged(HELP)” for the homeless in New York in 1986.
- Cuomo also had a partnership business with a law firm, “Blutriche, Falcone and Miller”, which he left in 1988 to focus on HELP.
- He became the chairman of the “New York City Homeless Commission” from 1990 to 1993.
- Certainly, after then, he was appointed as the assistant secretary for “Community Planning and Development” in 1993.
- He worked with Al Gore(former vice-president) to formulate policies for permanent homes for the poor and the homeless.
- In 1997, he was announced to be the new secretary of the “US Department of Housing and Urban Development”(HUD) by President Bill Clinton and he remained till 2001.
- During his time, he worked toward the control of gun use by negotiating with “Smith & Wesson”, the largest handgun manufacturer.
- In 2002, he ran for governor as a Democratic candidate, however, from being the favorite nominee he went downhill and himself removed his name from consideration.
*New York Governor:
- In 2006, Cuomo was elected as the “Attorney General of New York” and he was called the “New York’s Comeback Kid”.
- In 2010, he won the election as “Governor of New York” and has been reelected twice for another term as well.
- During his first term, Cuomo oversaw the passage of same-sex marriage law, gun control legislation, and a property tax cap, and also signed medical marijuana legislation.
- In his second term, he successfully pushed for an increase in New York’s minimum wage.
- He got into a controversy in 2014 after he closed a commission that he had created against corruption.
- Cuomo signed ‘Women’s Equality Bills’ in 2015 and in 2016 it was stated that his business tax incentive program “START-UP NY” had generated more than 400 jobs since 2014.
- He also supported the courses offered to New York’s prisoners as his administration awarded grants worth more than $ 7 million.
- It was also announced that he would restore the voting rights of parolees through an executive order.
- He also proposed a four-point plan to tackle gun violence in the US in 2019.
- On 13th August 2019, he announced that he is about to propose a bill that “redefines domestic terrorism”.
Sandra Lee is Andrew Cuomo’s (Food Network) wife. The couple began dating in 2005 and married in 2011.
Cuomo married Kerry Kennedy before in 1990. The couple’s three kids were twins Cara and Mariah, as well as Michaela Andrea. Their marriage, however, did not last long, and they divorced in 2005 after the first parting in 2003.
Andrew lives in Westchester County, New York, with his wife Sandra Lee and their daughters.
On July 4, 2015, Cuomo presided at the wedding of his long-time friend Billy Joel to his fourth wife, Alexis Roderick.
Andrew Cuomo has a well-kept body. He is rather tall, standing at 5ft. 11in (1.8m).
He has fair skin and brown eyes with black hair.