Who Is Bertil Fox?
Mr. Fox has been competing in bodybuilding for over 25 years and is well-known throughout the world for his massive build and aggressive lifting style.
Due to his reputation as a hard competitor, he participated in competitions all over the world.
Short Career Of Bertil Fox
Fox’s family relocated to England after Bertil Fox was born on a little Caribbean island, and there he began to establish a reputation as one of the best competition bodybuilders in the UK.
But Bertil’s life wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows; after years of competition, tragedy and murder engulfed his life. This is his story:
Body Measurements of Bertil Fox
|Full Name:||Bertil Fox|
|YEAR OF BIRTH:||1951|
|WEIGHT:||235 – 245lbs (106.6 – 111.1kg)|
- Mr. Britain – NABBA, Junior, 1st – 1969
- Mr. Britain – NABBA, Junior, 1st – 1970
- Mr. Britain – NABBA, Junior, 1st – 1971
- Mr. Europe, Junior, 1st – 1971
- Mr. Britain – NABBA, Winner – 1976
- Mr. Europe, Medium, 1st – 1976
- Mr. Europe, Overall Winner – 1976
- Mr. Universe – NABBA, Medium, 2nd – 1976
- Mr. World – AAU, Winner – 1976
- Mr. World – AAU, Most Muscular, 1st – 1976
- Mr. World – AAU, Medium, 1st – 1976
- Mr. Universe – NABBA, Medium, 1st – 1977
- Mr. Universe – NABBA, Overall Winner – 1977
- Also, Universe – Pro – NABBA, Winner – 1978
- Universe – Pro – NABBA, Winner – 1979
- World Championships – WABBA, Professional, 2nd – 1980
- Grand Prix Belgium – IFBB, 5th – 1981
- Night of Champions – IFBB, 2nd – 1982
- Olympia – IFBB, 8th – 1982
- Grand Prix Sweden – IFBB, 4th – 1983
- Grand Prix Switzerland – IFBB, 2nd – 1983
- Olympia – IFBB, 5th – 1983
- World Pro Championships – IFBB, 5th – 1984
- Olympia – IFBB, 7th – 1986
- Grand Prix Germany – IFBB, 9th – 1987
- Night of Champions – IFBB, 7th – 1987
- Olympia – IFBB, 12th – 1987
- Arnold Classic – IFBB, 6th – 1989
- Grand Prix Melbourne – IFBB, 6th – 1989
- Olympia – IFBB, 11th – 1989
- World Pro Championships – IFBB, 5th – 1989
- Arnold Classic – IFBB, 16th – 1992
- Pittsburgh Pro Invitational – IFBB, 9th – 1992
- Ironman Pro Invitational – IFBB, 13th – 1994
The Big Shift
In 1951, Bertil Fox was born on the Caribbean island of St. Kitts, but his family moved to England not long after he turned one.
He was inspired to start bodybuilding at a young age, and after finding his footing and beginning to establish a name for himself, he won the 1969 Junior Mr. Britain competition at the age of just 18.
Mr. Fox was a legend in the bodybuilding world during his illustrious career. He spent more than 25 years demonstrating his value as a fierce rival.
In practically every competition he participated in, he defeated his opponents. Before going on to win again for Mr. Britain in 1976, he won the Junior Mr. Britain competition more than time in 1970 and 1971.
Bertil Fox was not only winning championships at home; he was also winning Junior Mr. Europe, Mr. Universe, and Mr. World in 1971.
My First Olympian
Bertil was discovered by none other than Joe Weider, who sponsored him to move to Los Angeles, California, to further his career in the IFBB competitions after he competed successfully in both domestic and international shows.
At the age of 29, Mr. Fox quickly advanced and finished fifth at the 1981 Grand Prix in Belgium.
The very next year, at the Night of Champions, Bertil finished in second place and came extremely close to claiming his maiden IFBB victory. Bertil also made his Mr. Olympia debut in 1982, finishing in eighth place.
While Mr. Fox competed for several years, 1983 was his most successful year as he finished second at the Swiss Grand Prix.
After competing at Mr. Olympia and finishing fifth overall, he later finished fourth at the Swedish Grand Prix. Throughout 1986, 1987, and 1989, he kept making appearances at the Olympia.
Grey Skies Become Blue
For Mr. Fox, things weren’t always easy sailing. Fox’s life took a bad turn on May 22, 1998, when he was found guilty of killing his fiance and her mother.
Leica Browne, a 20-year-old beauty queen, and Violet, her 36-year-old mother, were shot and killed by Fox. Bertil Fox denied the killings, but he was later convicted guilty in court. Fox was first given a hanging sentence, but the decision was overturned. Fox currently spends his days in a St. Kitts jail cell serving out his term.
Due to his harsh and demanding training methods, Mr. Fox earned the moniker “Brutal Bertil.” He put in a lot of volume and weight during his workouts.
During some exercises, Bertil would punish his muscles by performing 30 sets of each exercise for each muscle group.
His arm workout demonstrates that “Brutal Bertil” wasn’t one to take things easy at the gym. An example of a normal workout would be:
- EZ-bar curls, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 200 lbs max weight
- Incline dumbbell curls, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 80s lbs max weight
- Dumbbell concentration curls, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 60 lbs max weight
- Barbell preacher curls, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 155 lbs max weight
- One-arm cable curls, 6 sets, 8-10 reps, 60 lbs max weight
- Lying extensions, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 200 lbs max weight
- Bench dips, 6 sets, 6-8 reps, 135 lbs on legs max weight
- One-arm dumbbell overhead extensions, 6 sets, 8-10 reps, 60 lbs max weight
- Pushdowns, 6 sets, 8-10 reps, 250 lbs max weight
- One-arm pushdowns, 6 sets, 8-10 reps, 100 lbs max weight
Bertil was a big man, and the only kind of diet that could handle a man with Mr. Fox’s appetite was one high in protein.
Poached eggs and steak were among Bertil’s favorites. Bertil was getting ready for a recent tournament that was taking place in the UK back in 1984.
He once needed to place a meal order while confined to a hotel room. When he ordered 12 poached eggs, the restaurant assumed he was making a joke; his manager had to clarify that this order was for no ordinary man.
The rest of the tale proceeds somewhat as follows:
Making a call to room service I said that I was speaking on behalf of a top bodybuilder in the world, that he was on a diet strong in protein, and that he needed 12 softly cooked eggs right now.
They told me that the order was on its way after a brief conversation. In a muted way, Bertil grunted and nodded his head.
Influences and Idols
Dorian Yates and Simon Robinson are only two of the finest bodybuilders who have been influenced by Bertil Fox. Robinson claimed in a recent interview that seeing Fox’s enormous girth inspired him to get bigger.
He was aware that to compete with his competition, he needed to develop. Robinson went on to win Mr. Britain, Mr. Europe, and Mr. World while primarily drawing inspiration from Mr. Fox.
How Can Bertil Fox Teach Us Something?
If getting bigger is your goal, you must include training methods like Fox’s intensity and volume in your schedule. Massive additions of sets, supersets, and repetitions will result in development and growth only!
Bertil earned the moniker “Brutal Bertil” because he was a monster in the weight room; he didn’t get it for lounging on the couch.
Due to his relentless efforts and extreme work ethic in the gym, he was larger and more muscular than many of his rivals. Bertil is still renowned for his tremendous size and robust frame, despite the unfortunate events that later surrounded his life.
There is just one way to build muscle like “Brutal Bertil”: lift more weight, lift harder, and increase your volume. You might be on the path to achieving your very own fantastic body if you had the determination and focus of Fox to push through your training.