$1.34 RECIPE / $1.34 SERVING
You know how much I adore instant ramen enhancements, and this coconut curry ramen could be my new fav!
This tasty bowl of noodles takes only five simple ingredients and roughly 10 minutes to prepare.
Plus, because there’s no chopping involved, this coconut curry ramen is an excellent alternative for anyone cooking in a small space or with limited kitchen equipment (dorm room, hotel room, RV, etc.).
But what I really like about this dish is how brilliant the colors and flavors are.
WHAT VEGETABLES SHOULD BE USED?
For this ramen, I recommend having a bag of frozen mixed vegetables on hand. This meal comes together quickly because the frozen vegetables are already chopped.
There are so many various vegetable mix combos to pick from (see photographs below for samples), and you can only use a cup at a time without the rest going bad.
However, you can substitute whatever fresh vegetables that you have on hand.
I’ve already tried this coconut curry ramen with a few different frozen veggie blends, and they’re all delicious. To view the three types I’ve tested so far, scroll down to the step-by-step images below the recipes.
WHICH RAMEN FLAVOR SHOULD I USE?
Another advantage of this recipe is that it is adaptable. You can use ramen in a variety of tastes. I used chicken, but shrimp would be delicious as well.
If you don’t want to use the seasoning package that comes with the ramen, you can substitute any sort of broth for the water in the recipe below (vegetable, chicken, mushroom, etc.).
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT KIND OF CURRY POWDER TO USE?
For this recipe, I used yellow curry powder, but it’s quite adaptable and I think it would work with just about any sort of curry powder.
Curry powder flavor varies a lot from brand to brand, so you may have to try a few different brands to find one you like. You can choose a moderate or hot curry powder, depending on your preference.
CAN I ADD ANYTHING ELSE?
The recipe below is simple but tasty; however, if you have more ingredients on hand, you can always add them! I despise wasting food, and this recipe is ideal for adding extras!
You can add shrimp or cooked chicken if you have any on hand. Green onions or a sriracha drizzle can be added to the top. This is also a terrific way to use up an extra handful or two of any greens you may have on hand (spinach, kale, etc.).
COCONUT CURRY RAMEN
Servings: 1 or 2
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables ($0.47)
- 1.5 cups of water ($0.00)
- 1 3oz. package instant ramen ($0.25)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk* ($0.52)
- 1 tsp curry powder ($0.10)
- In a small saucepot, combine the frozen vegetables and water. Cover the pot with a cover, increase the heat to high, and bring the water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the ramen noodles (without seasoning). Boil for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- Before measuring, give the coconut can a good shake to blend the solid fat and liquid. Stir the coconut milk into the saucepot to mix it.
- Finally, add the curry powder and the seasoning packet from the instant ramen. To blend, stir everything together. Serve immediately.
*Use canned coconut milk rather than the variety sold in a carton as a dairy milk substitute.
NUTRITION IN COCONUT CURRY
- Serving: 1 recipe
- Calories: 770 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 86 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Fat: 43 g
- Sodium: 1853 mg
- Fiber: 13 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING COCONUT CURRY RAMEN
- This dish can be made with almost any frozen mixed vegetables. Here are three veggie mix recipes that I’ve tried and liked. The “stir-fry starters” combination on the upper right was the vegetables used in the ramen dish depicted in this post.
- In a saucepot with 1.5 cups of water, add one cup of frozen vegetables. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the ramen noodles to the pot once it has started to boil (without the seasoning). Boil for another 2-3 minutes, or until the noodles are softened.
- Stir in 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk. Before you measure your coconut milk, make sure it’s properly blended so the solid fat and liquid are evenly distributed.
- Finally, stir in one teaspoon of curry powder and the seasoning packet from the instant ramen. To combine everything, whisk it together.
That’s the end of the story! Your coconut curry ramen has finished cooking and is ready to eat!