$3.94 RECIPE / $0.66 SERVING
You know how much I adore simple dinner essentials, right?
Baked chicken drumsticks are precisely that—a simple, no-fuss main dish that requires no forethought or work.
Simply season the drumsticks with your favorite spice, pop them in the oven, and then focus on your side dishes or whatever else is on your mind while they cook.
They’re quick, delicious, and the ideal “emergency” meal for when you just don’t want to worry about dinner.
DRUMSTICKS SHOULD BE BONE-IN AND SKIN-ON (OR THIGHS)
Drumsticks and thighs, in particular, are forgiving, especially when cooked with the bone in and skin on. The skin helps to retain moisture, while the meat’s increased fat content keeps it supple and juicy.
Use the same way in the recipe below to substitute bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Because the chicken breast is a leaner cut of meat, it requires a slightly different approach.
OTHER BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS SEASONING IDEAS
For my baked chicken drumsticks, I chose a classic seasoning mixture of smoked paprika, garlic, onion, and oregano, but you can use any flavor blend you choose.
There is so much freedom! Season your oven-baked chicken drumsticks with the following suggestions:
- Ranch Seasoning
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic Herb Seasoning
- BBQ (use the dry seasonings in the recipe below and then brush with BBQ Sauce in the last 15 minutes of baking).
- Jerk seasoning
- Taco seasoning
Do you want some dipping sauce? With your cooked chicken, try these delectable sauces:
- Ranch dressing
- Honey mustard sauce
- Comeback sauce
- BBQ sauce
OVEN-BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder ($0.03)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano ($0.03)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1.75 lbs. chicken drumsticks (6 pieces) ($3.42)
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil* ($0.32)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the frying oil over the chicken drumsticks in a mixing basin. Toss the drumsticks with the prepared seasoning until they’re equally coated with oil and spices.
- Place the seasoned drumsticks on a baking sheet, leaving enough space between them so they don’t touch. If preferred, line the baking pan with foil or parchment paper to make cleanup easier.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping the drumsticks halfway through. Serve immediately.
*You can use any high-heat cooking oil you like.
NUTRITION IN BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- Serving: 1 drumstick
- Calories: 254 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Fat: 17 g
- Sodium: 332 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING BAKED CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Choose which herbs and spices you’d like to season your drumsticks with (see the text above the recipe for some ideas). 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1.75 pounds of chicken drumsticks and 2 tablespoons of your favorite cooking oil.
- Toss the drumsticks in the oil and seasonings until completely covered.
- Place the chicken drumsticks on a baking sheet far enough apart to prevent them from touching. If preferred, line the baking sheet with parchment paper to make cleanup easier.
- Bake the chicken drumsticks for about 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 175°F, flipping halfway through.
Serve immediately and enjoy! (parsley garnished for color, but not for flavor)