- Food: Aguas Fresca
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
Agua fresca is one of my favorite ways to consume fresh fruit. Agua frescas are light fruit drinks made by blending fruit with water, lime juice, and a little sugar.
Although I ordered the most wonderful pineapple agua fresca in Austin, Texas, earlier this year, Aguas Frescas are popular in Mexico and Central America.
I’m not a huge fan of juice, but I do enjoy agua frescas because they can be served unfiltered. As a result, unlike ordinary juice, you’re consuming all of the fiber found in the fruit rather than filtering it out.
That implies, in theory, they won’t induce the same blood sugar surge as ordinary juices. You may also make it in a blender without having to filter it.
Fruits to Use in Aguas Frescas
I experimented with a variety of fruits to make agua frescas. Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Cucumber, particularly when combined with fresh mint
- Melon with honeydew
- Watermelon (you don’t need to add any water because it’s so juicy; check my watermelon juice recipe)
These fruits are not recommended by me:
- Cherries were transformed into a cherry lime-aid, however, their hue swiftly altered.
- Because the blueberries and blackberries were not sweet enough, the seeds had to be removed using a fine mesh screen.
A high-powered blender is essential for generating flawlessly smooth, unfiltered agua frescas. Vitamix sent me their Vitamix Professional Series 750 blender, which redefines “high powered”!
This machine is incredible. It has five pre-programmed settings for smoothies (which is how I made these drinks), hot soups (no stove required! ), frozen desserts, and purées.
The final setting is a cleaning mode, which ensures that the container is spotless after you’re through. The tamper that comes with the blender is great for pushing down any ice or nuts that need to be pushed down in particularly thick mixes.
Transforming fresh vegetables into different forms with the touch of a button is quite wonderful. In less than a minute, my new Vitamix mixes up incredibly smooth agua frescas! Summer is approaching
|Time to Prepare: 5 minutes
5 minutes in total
Serving: 2 cups
This agua frescas are unfiltered fruit juices that are wonderfully refreshing in the summer.
Ingredients per serving, multiply as necessary
- 1 cup roughly chopped fruit (I recommend hulled strawberries, peeled cucumber, cantaloupe, or pineapple)
- 1 cup water
- ½ medium lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure cane sugar or agave nectar or sweetener of choice (if your fruit is perfectly ripe and sweet, you may not need any sweetener at all)
- Optional: 2 large mint leaves (perfect with cucumber)
Insturctions For Aguas Fresca
- Combine the fruit, water, lime juice, sweetener, and optional mint leaves in a blender container. Using the smoothie option, puree until smooth. Taste and adjust with extra lime and/or sweetness if necessary, then mix quickly again.
- Serve over ice right away.