These sautéed onions are simple to prepare. They have a strong flavor, are slightly sweet, and are extremely sensitive.
Serve these sautéed onions with a sandwich, salad, or just as a side dish!
Why Will You Enjoy This Recipe?
- They’re extremely adaptable and may be used in almost any situation! For a savory bite, I like to toss some sautéed onions over my salads or add them to a sandwich. My favorite way to eat them is put inside a grilled cheese sandwich — YUM!
- They just take 15 minutes to put together! These sautéed onions cook very quickly, unlike caramelized onions, which can take up to 45 minutes to prepare. Simply sauté for 10 minutes in butter and oil, then season with salt and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired doneness is reached.
- They keep their shape and delicious crunch thanks to the sautéing procedure! Sautéed onions are the ideal combination of tender and crunchy.
Onions – It’s entirely up to you the sort of onion you use in this recipe! Yellow onions are my favorite because of their naturally sweet flavor, which intensifies when sautéed.
However, following this procedure, white onions or even red onions would be great. To prepare the onions for this dish, slice off the ends and peel away the papery skin.
The onions should next be sliced along the middle and placed cut side down on a chopping board. Carefully slice each onion half into 1/4-inch half-moon slices with a sharp knife.
Butter – A tablespoon of butter gives this basic recipe a lot of flavor and richness! You can choose to leave off the butter, but I strongly advise against it. Use a spoonful of vegan butter instead of butter if you want to make this dish vegan or dairy-free!
- While your onions are cooking, keep an eye on them! They may burn quickly if the temperature is set too high. As a result, check on the onions every few minutes and stir them. Reduce the heating if they appear to be browning too quickly.
- If you want your sautéed onions to be even sweeter, add a tablespoon of sugar. When these onions are cooked, enough natural sugar is released, making them sweet enough for my taste. However, if you like a sweeter side dish, add a tablespoon of sugar along with the salt in the penultimate step.
- Sautéed onions can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months! Simply reheat in the microwave until thoroughly heated.
Flavorful Sautéed Onions
|0 minutes to prepare
15 minutes to cook
15 minutes total
These sautéed onions are simple to prepare. They have a strong flavor, are slightly sweet, and are extremely sensitive. Serve these sautéed onions with a sandwich, salad, or just as a side dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 onions sliced, see Notes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Large skillet
Instructions For Sautéed Onions
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Toss the onions in the butter and oil to coat them, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring every minute or two.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the desired doneness is reached.
Veganize it: To make these sautéed onions vegan-friendly, use one tablespoon of vegan butter instead of conventional butter.
For this recipe, I love yellow onions, but you can use any variety of onions you choose.
This recipe serves around 6 people. Your desired portion sizes will determine the number of servings. The nutritional values provided are for one serving out of a total of six.
The exact macros will vary depending on the brands and types of ingredients utilized.
Prepare the recipe as directed to get the weight of one serving. Weigh the final recipe, then divide the weight (excluding the weight of the container in which the food is stored) by 6. The weight of one serving will be the result.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 59kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Sodium: 213mg, Potassium: 81mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 59IU, Vitamin C: 4mg, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 1mg, Net Carbs: 4g