$5.43 RECIPE / $1.36 SERVING
Because it’s almost Friday, I’m going to give you a simple pizza recipe!
With its sweet, tangy, and salty BBQ sauce, juicy chicken, creamy cheese, and flavorful onions, BBQ Chicken Pizza are a classic.
But, after working in the pizza industry for a few years, I’ve discovered that there are a plethora of additional tasty toppings for a BBQ Chicken Pizza! So read on for the “traditional” recipe, as well as some of my additional “fun” toppings that go great with these BBQ flavors.
WHAT KIND OF PIZZA DOUGH SHOULD I USE?
BBQ Chicken Pizza can be made with almost any style of pizza dough or crust.
I used my tried-and-true Homemade Pizza Dough, but it would also work on a Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust, French Bread, a baked tortilla, or your favorite gluten-free or cauliflower crust from the supermarket. For a 14-16′′ pizza crust, the toppings suggested below will suffice.
CAN THE CHICKEN BE SUBSTITUTED?
Sure! If you don’t want to use chicken, a can of black beans (combined with the spices and sauce listed for the chicken) or even shrimp can be used instead.
You can use pre-cooked chicken if you enjoy chicken but don’t want to make it from scratch.
If you’re using rotisserie chicken, just slice it up and toss it with the BBQ sauce. If you’re using canned chicken breast, simply rinse it and incorporate it into the BBQ sauce carefully.
WHAT’S YOUR GO-TO BARBEQUE SAUCE?
I’m not particular when it comes to BBQ sauce, but I do prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s. Personally, I prefer smokey barbecue sauces to sweeter sauces.
I had this Kroger Hickory Smoke BBQ Sauce today. I think a hotter BBQ sauce, or perhaps a pineapple-flavored BBQ sauce, would be interesting to explore.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU PUT ON BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA?
This is when things start to get interesting. Over the years, I’ve tried a variety of various toppings on my BBQ Chicken Pizzas:
- Pineapple (don’t @ me)
- Feta (surprisingly delicious against that sweet BBQ sauce)
- Green onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Black Beans
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
INGREDIENTS FOR BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
QUICK BBQ CHICKEN*
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about ⅔ lb.) ($3.22)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil ($0.04)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce ($0.11)
- 1 prepared pizza dough ($0.62)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce ($0.22)
- 4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded ($0.85)
- 1 jalapeño (optional), sliced ($0.15)
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion ($0.11)
- Combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Season the chicken breast on both sides with the spices.
- Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat. Swirl in the cooking oil to coat the skillet’s surface. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through (internal temperature of 165oF). Transfer the chicken to a chopping board that has been cleaned.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before chopping it into small pieces. Stir 1/4 cup BBQ sauce into the chopped chicken to coat it.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread about 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over the prepared pizza dough or crust on a pizza pan.
- Toss the pizza with cheese, BBQ chicken, sliced jalapenos, and sliced onion.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the crust and cheese. Serve in 8 pieces.
*Instead of cooking fresh chicken, season pre-cooked chicken, such as rotisserie chicken or canned chicken breasts.
NUTRITION IN BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
- Serving: 2 slices
- Calories: 532.88 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 54.03 g
- Protein: 30.83 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Sodium: 2640.13 mg
- Fiber: 2.28 g
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA METHOD
- 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika, 1/4 tablespoons garlic powder, 1/8 tablespoons salt, and 1/8 tablespoons pepper Season one boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2/3 pound) on both sides with the spice blend.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoons frying oil. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165oF) after the pan is heated. Make a batch of Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken and top your pizza with part of it.
- Place the cooked chicken on a chopping board that has been thoroughly cleaned. Allow for a few minutes for the chicken to cool before chopping it into small pieces. Stir in 1/4 cup barbecue sauce to coat the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius). Spread 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over the surface of a prepared pizza dough/crust on a pizza pan.
- 4 oz. Monterey jack cheese and chopped BBQ chicken go on top of the pizza.
- Finally, top the pizza with slices of red onion and one jalapeno.
- In a preheated oven, bake the BBQ Chicken Pizza for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the dough and cheese.
Enjoy by slicing it into 8 pieces.