$2.30 RECIPE / $0.26 SERVING
Rice Krispie Treats are one of those amazing ingredient combos for me.
Rice Krispie Treats are just four simple ingredients, but when combined, they create a new amazing item that’s melt-in-your-mouth soft, and chewy while also being light and crunchy.
They’re just *mwah* flawless. I prefer to make mine very soft so that the sweet marshmallow melts into the crunchy rice cereal within. On these babies, you won’t be cutting the roof of your mouth! Nothing but gooey, marshmallowy bliss!
HOW DO YOU KEEP RICE KRISPIES SOFT?
There’s nothing worse than a hardened rice krispie treat. Follow these instructions to produce marshmallowy soft and delicious rice krispie treats:
- Make sure you have enough marshmallows (if you follow the recipe below you should have no problem).
- Fresh marshmallows are best. The softness of your rice krispie treats will be affected if they’re dry or stale.
- Make sure the marshmallows and butter aren’t overcooked. The longer sugar is cooked, the harder it becomes. To keep your goodies soft, merely heat the butter and marshmallow mixture until the marshmallows have completely melted, no longer.
STORAGE OF RICE KRISPIE TREATS
Rice krispie treats can be stored at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for about five days.
OR, if you’re like me and want them to last even longer, you can freeze them for up to three months in an airtight container. I just take one out at a time and let it defrost for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before heading out.
WHAT ELSE COULD YOU INCLUDE?
My favorite part of any dish is the additions. And even something as simple as rice krispie treats allows for a lot of personalization! Here are some tasty additions to create fresh flavors:
- Birthday cake flavored snacks with almond extract and multicolored sprinkles.
- Replace some of the rice cereal with golden graham cereal and add chocolate chips and more mini-marshmallows (stirred in with the cereal so they don’t melt) to make smores-flavored desserts.
- Drizzle chocolate over the top after mixing peanut butter into the melting marshmallows.
- Replace ordinary rice krispie cereal with cocoa pebbles, and stir chocolate powder into melted marshmallows.
- For a “cookies and cream” dessert, add crumbled oreo cookies.
- Toss white chocolate chips with the cereal and add peppermint essence to the melted marshmallows.
RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- 6 Tbsp butter (salted) ($0.60)
- 6 cups mini marshmallows (10oz. package) ($1.00)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract ($0.14)
- 4 cups rice krispie cereal ($0.56)
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with waxed paper or foil and lightly oil it.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and swirl until they have melted and blended into the butter.
- Remove the pot from the heat once the marshmallows have melted and mixed. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Stir in the rice krispie cereal until it is well coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Using a lightly oiled spatula, press the rice krispie mixture into the prepared dish. Avoid packing the treats too tightly.
- Allow the treats to chill until solid, either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Serve by cutting into 9 pieces.
- Serving: 1 piece
- Calories: 221 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Sodium: 159 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 6 cups small marshmallows, once the butter has melted (or one 10 oz. package). Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat once the marshmallows are completely melted and mixed into the butter. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 4 cups rice krispies cereal, mixed in.
- Stir until the cereal is well covered in the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Line an 8-inch baking dish with waxed paper or foil that has been gently oiled (I put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe the inside). Using a lightly greased spatula, press the rice krispie mixture into the dish. Avoid squeezing it too tightly. Allow the treats to cool completely at room temperature or in the refrigerator before cutting them into nine pieces.
- Keep Rice krispie treats at room temperature for two days, refrigerated for five days, or frozen for longer.