$11.66 RECIPE / $2.33 SERVING
Summer will soon arrive!!
On Memorial Day, kick off the summer grilling season with these very delicious BBQ Chicken Kebabs. They are sweet, salty, and tangy, with a hint of pineapple’s tropical flavor.
You can get all the components, including some fresh summer sides, in one quick and efficient trip to ALDI, allowing you to spend more time outdoors enjoying the summer weather.
WHAT DO CHICKEN KEBABS CONTAIN?
These BBQ Chicken Kebabs are prepared using only a handful of incredibly basic ingredients.
They have seasoned chicken breast chunks, fresh-cut pineapple, red onion, BBQ sauce, and a garnish of fresh green onions. They are light, crisp, and ideal for summer barbecues.
WHAT TO Accompany CHICKEN KEBABS
I served my BBQ Chicken Kebabs with all the traditional summer BBQ sides, including potato salad, macaroni salad, potato chips, and ice-cold beer, all of which I was able to purchase from ALDI along with the kebab ingredients.
I also found mango pico de gallo and had to purchase some because I thought it would complement the pineapple on the kebabs well!
Except for a few pantry necessities, I was able to get all of the items for this summer BBQ feast from ALDI for only $34.60! Do you now understand why I’m so enamored with ALDI?
And if you want to cook your own side dishes, ALDI also has the high-quality ingredients you need.
However, since it’s summer, I’m taking things easy and purchasing a few of these pre-made goods. Here is a summary of my purchases (prices may vary depending on location):
- Simply Nature Organic Chicken Breasts $8.21
- Fresh Pineapple $1.99
- Red Onions $2.29
- Green Onions $0.95
- Burman’s Original BBQ Sauce $0.95
- Park Street Deli Mustard Potato Salad $3.69, Macaroni Salad $3.69, and Mango Pico de Gallo $3.19
- Clancy’s Kettle Chips $1.65
- Holland Lager 1839 $7.99
DO I REQUIRE A BBQ?
These chicken kebabs can be cooked on an outdoor barbecue or an inside grill pan.
Cast-iron grill pans that sit atop your stove’s burners are a fantastic alternative to outside barbecues, but they do produce smoke, so be sure to switch on your exhaust fan!
WHAT KIND OF BBQ SAUCE IS BEST?
I used Burman’s Original BBQ Sauce from ALDI, but you may experiment and alter the flavor of these kebabs by using any kind of BBQ Sauce.
ALDI also carried excellent regional Burman’s BBQ sauces (Memphis, Texas, Kansas City, and Carolina), or you could choose a different taste, such as honey BBQ sauce, smoky BBQ sauce, or spicy sauce.
BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS
- 2 small red onions (or one large) ($0.76)
- 1 fresh pineapple ($1.99)
- 1.3 lbs. Simply Nature Organic Chicken Breasts ($8.21)
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil, divided ($0.08)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ($0.10)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 1/2 cup Burman’s Original BBQ Sauce ($0.21)
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.12)
- Cube the red onion. Then, Toss the red onion with 1 tablespoon of frying oil in a bowl.
- Cube the pineapple into 1-inch-square pieces.
- Cube the chicken breast into 1-inch chunks and set them in a basin. Add the smoked paprika, sweet paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper before drizzling with 1 tablespoon of frying oil. Toss the chicken in oil and seasonings until it is thoroughly coated.
- Alternate between adding pineapple, onion, and chicken to skewers as you assemble kebabs. Depending on the length of your skewers and the size of your pieces, your yield may vary.
- Medium heat a grill or grill pan. Once the oil is hot, place the kebabs in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Brush the kebabs on all sides with BBQ sauce when they are nearly done cooking. Cook the chicken kebabs for an additional minute or two on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the barbecue sauce has caramelized somewhat.
- Before serving, garnish with the sliced green onions.
- Serving: 2 kebabs
- Calories: 346 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Sodium: 553 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN KEBABS – STEP BY STEP
- Cut a single large or two smaller red onions into 1-inch slices. Then, place them in a basin and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil before tossing to coat.
- Cut pineapple into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut two boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 ounces) into one-inch cubes.
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper over the chicken. Toss the chicken in oil and seasonings until it is well coated.
- Alternate pineapple chunks, onion, and chicken that have been seasoned on skewers to construct chicken kebabs.
- Medium-heat a grill or grill pan. When the oil is hot, add the kebabs and fry them for a few minutes on each side. Apply barbecue sauce to all sides of the kebabs once they are nearly fully cooked. Cook for an additional minute or two on each side, or until the barbecue sauce has caramelized.
- Just before serving, garnish the kebabs with sliced green onion. Serve with all of your favorite BBQ Sides!