- Food: Cold Cucumber Soup
- Writer: Lizzie Green
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This recipe for cold cucumber soup is just what you need for those hot summer days.
It is a great dish that can be served as either an appetizer or a side dish; it is creamy, refreshing, bright, and reviving.
On a hot summer day, this chilled soup made with cucumbers is exactly what I want to eat. It does not require you to turn on the oven, the stove, or even the grill while you are preparing it.
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender, then transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
This cucumber soup, after being refrigerated for a couple of hours, will become so creamy, cool, bright, and refreshing that you won’t be able to stop yourself from going back for seconds.
The Components of the Cucumber Soup Recipe
The following are the ingredients that are required to prepare cucumber soup:
- Cucumbers, without a doubt! In this recipe, I like to make use of the delicate Persian cucumbers that have thin skin. Make sure you set aside a few of the slices to use as garnish! They lend a satisfying crunch to this smooth and chilled soup.
- Greek yogurt is the secret ingredient that gives this soup its delectable tangy flavor and velvety smooth texture.
- Extra-virgin olive oil is used because of its rich flavor.
- Fresh herbs are included in the soup by combining basil and dill, and then the finished product is garnished with additional dill, fresh mint, or chives.
- The soup is given a fresh and cheery appearance by the addition of lemon juice.
- Garlic: It sharpens and deepens the flavor of the dish.
- Honey: You don’t need to worry about the honey turning this dish into a sweet one. It is instead responsible for making a tasty and well-balanced soup by offsetting the sharpness that comes from the lemon and the sting that comes from the raw garlic.
- And some salt and pepper to really bring out all of the flavors!
How to Make Cucumber Soup
This recipe for cucumber soup couldn’t possibly be any simpler to make! The following is how it works:
First, blend! In a large blender, combine the cucumbers, herbs, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, honey, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Next, take it easy. After the soup has been blended to a smooth consistency, place it in the refrigerator to cool for at least four hours, or perhaps overnight.
At long last, have fun! The cold soup should be served in bowls topped with a garnish of fresh herbs, cucumbers that have been sliced very thinly, and a large amount of olive oil.
This chilled cucumber soup is perfect for serving as either an appetizer or a side dish.
On warm summer evenings, I frequently include it as part of a lighter dinner that also includes a substantial salad, such as Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, Panzanella Salad, or Cherry Tomato Couscous Salad.
Serve it as an appetizer alongside these Stuffed Zucchini Boats, Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Tzatziki, or my Roasted Vegetable Pasta for a heartier supper.
This refreshing soup made with cucumbers is also a wonderful first course for brunch in the spring or summer.
It is one of my favorite things to have alongside a few different salads, such as Carrot Salad or a Simple Green Salad, and a savory main course, such as a Frittata or Breakfast Casserole.
Last but not least, this chilled cucumber soup is the ideal meal to have for lunch on a warm summer day. You can have it with a slice of avocado toast, a basic sandwich, or a chunk of nice crusty bread or focaccia.
A sandwich featuring Caprese salad, chickpea salad, or egg salad would make an excellent selection. Another option would be a sandwich featuring egg salad.
|Prep Time: 10 mins
Duration of Chilling: 4 Hours
This chilled cucumber soup recipe is a refreshing summertime appetizer or side dish when served cold. It is brightened, creamy, and made refreshing by the use of fresh herbs, Greek yogurt, and lemon juice. Gluten-free.
- 6 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced, reserve a few slices for garnish
- 1½ cups plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh mint, dill, or chives, for garnish
- Blend the cucumbers, yogurt, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, dill, garlic, several grinds of pepper, and honey together in a blender until the mixture is smooth. Put in the refrigerator for at least four hours.
- Place in dishes and top with the cucumber slices that were set aside, fresh herbs, olive oil drizzles, and freshly ground black pepper.