- Food: Frozen Yogurt
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This simple frozen yogurt recipe will teach you how to create frozen yogurt. It beats soft-serve froyo every time because it’s luscious, thick, and creamy.
We’ve created a lot of ice creams before, so I’m not sure why it took us so long to come up with a frozen yogurt recipe that uses real yogurt!
What’s more, guess what? It has no resemblance to soft-serve froyo seen in frozen yogurt cafes. It’s created with Greek yogurt, a little coconut cream, a little sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla, and it’s creamy, sweet, and rich.
The tart cherries are marbled throughout to give it a brilliant pop, and the yogurt gives it a tangy flavor (a little like cheesecake). We’re a little obsessed.
How to make Frozen Yogurt?
I use an ice cream maker to produce this frozen yogurt. The first step is to freeze the bowl of your ice cream machine the night before you wish to make frozen yogurt. This frozen yogurt recipe is simple to make once it’s nice and cool. This is what you must do:
- While you’re making your froyo base, take your frozen fruit out of the freezer to thaw. This will make it easier to incorporate the fruit into the creamy mixture later.
- Whisk together the Greek yogurt, coconut cream, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt for the yogurt foundation.
- Fill your ice cream maker halfway with the base and churn the yogurt according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Toward the conclusion of the churning period, lightly crush your frozen fruit and put it in the ice cream maker.
- Scoop and eat when your yogurt is thick and creamy, and the fruit is entirely absorbed.
Variations in Frozen Yogurt Recipes
Sour cherries are one of my favorite fruits, and they’re especially delicious when blended into tart frozen yogurt. If you can’t find tart (or sour) cherries in your grocery store’s freezer area, you might ask for them to be added (I do this all the time).
Alternatively, you can use any frozen fruit you choose in this recipe. Raspberries would be an excellent alternative.
Your frozen yogurt will have a soft consistency when eaten immediately from the ice cream machine. Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before eating it for a harder texture.
Don’t forget about the garnishes! Berries (fresh strawberries are my favorite! ), roasted nuts, shredded coconut, or dark chocolate chips are all excellent options. Let me know which ones are your favorites!
|Preparation time: 1 hour
1 hour in total
This tart cherry frozen yogurt is a refreshing and healthful summer treat! For a quick change, use your favorite frozen fruit.
- 2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (refrigerate & scoop the solid part)
- ⅔ cups cane sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup tart cherries or raspberries, thawed if frozen
- extra tart cherries
- toasted sliced almonds
- Whisk together the yogurt, coconut milk solids (see note below), sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing dish. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated, then pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Gently smash up the tart cherries with a fork or a potato masher. Add them to the ice cream maker near the conclusion of the churning process to ensure that they swirl evenly.
- Scoop and savor! (Alternatively, pour it into a container and place it in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden it up.)
- To separate the coconut solids from your coconut milk, do the following: Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight. Open it (without shaking it) and scoop out the solid component when you’re ready to use it. (It’s fine if you obtain some of the watery parts for this recipe.) Save the remaining coconut water for another time.
- Because there are no stabilizers in this recipe, your frozen yogurt will firm more than regular ice cream after being frozen overnight; simply set it out to thaw for 20 minutes or so and it will become creamy again.
- To make a vegan version, omit the yogurt and replace it with 2 (total) cans of full-fat coconut milk.