- Food: Homemade Crackers
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
These homemade crackers are far superior to store-bought varieties! They’re gluten-free and wonderful on their own or as part of a cheese platter.
These gluten-free crackers were inspired by a trip to Norway this summer. I know, it seems absurd to travel to Norway and return with a recipe for homemade crackers.
But the truth is that my favorite part of traveling is going to different countries’ grocery stores. I’m not sure why, but what other people consume, how goods are packaged, how stores are organized… everything fascinates me.
I bought a packet of gluten-free crackers on our first day there, and it turned out to be my favorite snack of the week. They were thick, seedy, and hearty, and I felt good knowing that each bite had a small amount of protein and fiber.
Now, fast forward to today, and I’ve finally gotten around to creating some handmade crackers of my own. They’re crunchy, nutty, and simple to create, with no special equipment required (no food processor!).
I make these crackers gluten-free by using almond and brown rice flour instead of all-purpose flour or wheat flour. I love nibbling on them at any time of day, and I’m sure you will as well!
Ingredients for Crackers
To make these crispy, toasty handmade crackers, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Almond flour provides richness to the crackers while also providing protein and healthful fats.
- Brown rice flour adds a lovely crunch to these gluten-free crackers.
- Ground flaxseed ties the dough together and adds fiber and healthy fats.
- Hemp seeds – These omega-3-rich crackers are made with hemp seeds!
- Sesame seeds — They lend a toasty sesame taste to the dish.
- Baking powder aids in the puffing up of the handmade crackers while they bake.
- The dough comes together with the help of olive oil and water.
- Sea salt – to bring out the nutty flavor!
Cracker Making Instructions
Are you ready to discover how to make crackers? What you’ll need to accomplish is:
To begin, combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir in the oil and water until a crumbly dough forms.
Now it’s time to utilize your hands! Form the cracker dough into a smooth ball by pressing and kneading it together.
Then it’s time to roll! Make a disk out of the ball and sandwich it between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the dough on a flat surface until it’s about 1/8-inch thick.
Finally, bake the crackers after scoring them. Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and score the dough into 2-inch squares with a pizza cutter or a sharp paring knife.
Place the paper with the dough on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove the crackers from the oven and set them aside on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before breaking them apart and enjoying them!
Serving Ideas for Homemade Crackers
These gluten-free crackers are nutty and seedy, and they’d be a terrific complement to any crudité plate or cheese board. Serve them with a creamy dip like hummus, baba ganoush, tzatziki, white bean dip, or curry red lentil dip, as well as fresh fruit.
These handmade gluten-free crackers with mashed avocado are also a favorite! Serve them with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of salt, or with avocado toast topping options.
Of course, they’re also excellent as a snack on their own. In the comments, tell me about your favorite ways to eat them!
|Preparation time: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 25 minutes
40 minutes total
These crunchy gluten-free crackers go great with cheese or as a healthy, delightful afternoon snack on their own!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Combine the brown rice flour, almond flour, hemp seeds, flaxseed, sesame seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil and water after drizzling them in. It will be a very crumbly mixture. To make a cohesive ball, push and knead it together with your hands. Form the ball into a disk and set it on a level surface between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll out the dough to an 18-inch thickness. If the edges begin to tear, simply push them back together with your fingers.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and score the crackers into 2-inch squares with a sharp paring knife. Transfer the dough-covered parchment paper to a baking sheet with care. Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Allow the pan to cool for 10 minutes after removing it from the oven. Enjoy the crackers after they’ve been broken apart.