Our macaroni salad dish comes together quickly and easily. a pasta salad with a fantastic creamy dressing that is adaptable and easy to make!
Our macaroni salad recipe is a fantastic summer dish that is ideal for serving as a side dish or bringing to events like parties, barbecues, lunches, or dinners. The mayo/sour cream dressing will win you over. It intensifies the flavors a lot!
Made with macaroni pasta that has been cooked, red bell peppers (or capsicum), shredded carrot, red onions, dill pickles, crisp celery, and chives, and tossed in the ULTIMATE dressing, which is made with mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar to temper the acidity.
Like a Perfect Egg Salad, this salad is a must-make throughout the summer since it can be kept in the refrigerator and used as a quick base for proteins like salmon or tuna or as a side dish for larger dinners.
Although buying pre-made salads might be more convenient and easier, homemade salads with fresh, flavorful ingredients simply taste better.
Dressing For Pasta Salad
It’s important to use a LOT of dressing while making pasta salad to keep it from becoming pasty and drying out.
We use some sour cream in place of all mayo to help cut through the fat and reduce the amount of oil in the dish. You can also use Mexican crema or yogurt.
WHERE DO YOU FIND MAYONNAISE? As whole egg mayo tends to be less sweet and creamier than standard mayo, I advise using it.
VINEGAR: gives food a tangy kick! White vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar are all acceptable options. Add lemon juice as a replacement for some citrus flavor.
It gets thicker and more flavorful with DIJON MUSTARD.
The flavor profile is completed by MINCED GARLIC. If you’d prefer, you can also use minced shallots, garlic powder, or onion powder.
You all are aware of how much we enjoy drenching our meals in sauce. All of our salads and dressings are included in that. We never make a pasta salad recipe without dressing!
Ideas For Adding To Macaroni Salad
Our macaroni salad is bursting with flavor and is made using basic vegetables. However, other improvements could be made to make it even better!
- curry powder
- crispy bacon
- hard-boiled eggs
- rotisserie chicken
- grape or cherry tomatoes
- sliced olives
- kielbasa or any smoked sausage
How Long Does Macaroni Salad Last?
For up to 4 days, keep covered in the refrigerator. To remove the chill, remove it from the refrigerator at least 20 minutes before serving. It works best when slightly cold or closer to room temperature.
Can Macaroni Salad Be Frozen?
Absolutely! Allow it to thaw naturally for a few hours the day before serving, and then toss thoroughly.
- 8 oz (250g) dry macaroni pasta
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper (capsicum), seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise, (S&W, Best Foods, Hellmann’s, Japanese, or any whole egg mayo)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar, (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Over high heat, bring a sizable pot of salted water to a boil. Follow the instructions on the pasta packet or add it and cook it until it’s al dente (barely fork-tender).
- Prepare/chop the components for the SALAD and place them in a big serving bowl while the pasta is boiling.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing.
- Drain and rinse pasta under cool running water when it has finished cooking. Add the remaining SALAD ingredients to the sizable serving bowl after thoroughly draining.
- Pour over the dressing and thoroughly incorporate by tossing. To taste, adjust the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Before serving, let the ingredients aside for at least 15 minutes to allow them to come to almost room temperature and meld together.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g