Food: Pico De Gallo
Content-Type: Food Blog
Pico de gallo, a zesty, fresh topping for your favorite Mexican dishes, is easy to make with only 7 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
Whether it’s tacos or burrito bowls, pico de, in my opinion, is the ideal garnish. A spoonful served over hot, grilled vegetables is also wonderful.
And if there is ever any leftover pico, I like to add it to my scrambled eggs the next morning to make a quick Migas-style breakfast. I hope you like the many uses for this condiment!
PICO DE GALLO – WHAT IS IT?
“Pico de gallo” simply translates to “rooster’s beak” in English from Spanish. I’m not sure why it’s also the name for a fresh salsa made with finely diced white onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime, but I can assure you that pico de gallo is a simple, fresh dip and condiment you certainly want in your arsenal! It’s a quick and easy recipe that tastes great on tacos, burritos, nachos, and other common Mexican dishes. It’s also known as “salsa Fresca.”
MAKING PICO DE GALLO: INSTRUCTIONS + TIPS
One of the simplest recipes I’ve ever made is for pico de. The ingredients are simply minced garlic, lime juice & zest, salt, and finely diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno.
After combining everything, season to taste and serve! Here are some pointers for additional pico success:
- You should only use the tomato flesh, not the seeds or liquids. Make sure to leave out the tomato seedy pulp while mixing this because you don’t want your pico to be overly watery. Since they are less juicy than other varieties, Roma or plum tomatoes are both good options. I used tomatoes straight off the vine for my pico. Cherry or grape tomatoes cut into quarters are another option.
- Either consume it right away or prepare it in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for a few days. Just be aware that as the tomatoes marinate in the lime and salt, the mixture will become juicier. To top it with tacos, etc., I suggest using a fork or slotted spoon to leave most of the juices behind.
- The quality of your ingredients will determine the final dish’s quality, as it does with all straightforward recipes. During the summer, when fresh tomatoes are at their prime, pico de gallo is ideal. To make this recipe, seek out the best ingredients you can find. Avoid the tasteless, watery winter tomatoes if you want outstanding salsa.
SIMPLE RECIPE MODIFICATIONS
I enjoy using the classic pico de as a base for different interesting dips and even summer salads! Here are some of my preferred methods for variety:
- For a creamy component, top with crumbled Cotija cheese or chopped avocado.
- Substitute a fruit such as a mango, pineapple, watermelon, peach, or strawberry for the tomatoes.
- White onion can be replaced with red onion or chopped scallions.
- For added crunch, add diced red bell pepper or fresh corn kernels.
- Add a few pinches of ground cumin or coriander to season it.
- A black bean corn salad can be made by mixing 1 cup fresh corn kernels, 1 1/2 cups black beans, and 1 teaspoon cumin.
Please let me know if you try any other modifications.
IDEAS FOR SERVING PICO DE GALLO
This fresh salsa can be served as an appetizer with tortilla chips, but I prefer it as a side dish with Mexican meals. Make your burrito bowl with pico, cilantro lime rice, guacamole, tomatillo, mango salsa, black beans, and pico de gallo. Try adding it to tacos, nachos, taquitos, or burritos.
And I always suggest drinking margaritas! Enjoy!
PICO DE GALLO
It’s very simple to make this homemade fresh pico de! You may eat it on its own with tortilla chips or use it as a zesty topping for Mexican cuisine.
Serves: 6 to 8
- 2 cups diced tomato, 3 to 4 small tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- Combine the tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapenos, and salt in a small bowl. To blend, stir. Up until use, keep chilled.
- See other serving ideas in the post or serve with chips or for dipping.