- Food: Sweet Potato Soup
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
One of my favorite healthy comfort foods is this sweet potato soup dish. It is a thick, creamy dish made with vegetables, coconut milk, and spices.
The first week of fall was spent eating bowl after bowl of this sweet potato soup with Jack. Whatever it is, creamy orange soup just seems like the ideal dish on a chilly day.
I’m not sure why. The weather is brightened by its vivid hue, and the velvety soup warms you from the inside out.
Normally, at the beginning of fall, I make my butternut squash soup or pumpkin soup repeatedly, but right now, I’m still unable to get past this sweet potato soup.
It is thick, sweet, and smokey, and has a tart apple cider vinegar finish. A single bowl feels substantial because of the texture, which is deliciously creamy and smooth.
In the coming weeks, you should make this sweet potato soup if you find yourself yearning for warm, comforting meals. It’s straightforward, nourishing, and delightfully surprising. Although optional, serving with crusty bread is highly advised.
Ingredients for a sweet potato soup recipe
I also adore this recipe for sweet potato soup. It simply requires a little number of components to prepare it:
- Yes, of course, sweet potatoes! They contribute to the soup’s rich texture, bright color, and sweet flavor.
- Apple: The sweetness of the sweet potatoes is enhanced by the apple.
- For a savory depth of flavor, include onion and garlic.
- Ginger and coriander give the soup a warm, aromatic flavor.
- Smoked paprika: This spice gives the soup a wonderful smoky flavor.
- Coconut milk and extra-virgin olive oil add richness.
- Use store-bought or homemade vegetable broth.
- For tang, use apple cider vinegar.
- And sea salt—to bring out the tastes in everything!
Make This Sweet Potato Soup: Recipe
Making this sweet potato soup is soup-er (I had to!) easy. This is how it works:
Sauté the vegetables first. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, or until it softens, in a big saucepan or Dutch oven. After that, add the apple and sweet potatoes and simmer for a further 8 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
Stir in the seasonings after that. Stir in the smoked paprika, coriander, ginger, and garlic until they are aromatic. After that, incorporate the coconut milk, broth, and apple cider vinegar.
For garnish, I prefer to save aside 1/4 cup of my coconut milk. On the orange soup, it makes such a gorgeous white swirl!
Finally, simmer. When the sweet potatoes are cooked through, bring the soup to a boil, cover it, and simmer for a short while.
Pasteurize the soup last! Before adding the soup to a powerful blender and pureeing it until smooth, let it cool slightly.
(Alternatively, you could complete this step using an immersion blender.) Add a bit more broth to the soup if it is too thick. When it has the consistency you want, season it to taste, then serve.
I’m done now!
Suggestions for Serving Sweet Potato Soup
Place the creamy sweet potato soup into bowls when you’re ready to dine. Add a swirl of coconut cream, some fresh cilantro, Aleppo pepper, or red pepper flakes, and some crunchy pepitas to the dish as a garnish.
The soup is delicious and served with a salad or roasted veggies on the side, but I frequently eat it as a meal by itself (along with a thick slice of crusty bread, of course!). Try serving it with one of the following dishes:
- Kale Salad with Ginger-Carrot Dressing
- Balsamic-glazed pears and walnut salad
- vegetable roasting
- Salad with shaved Brussels sprouts
- Beets Roasted with Citrus
Sweet Potato Soup
|15 minutes to prepare
30 minutes for cooking
Serving: 4 portions
Warm yourself with this rich sweet potato soup on a chilly winter or fall night! It has a wonderful blend of sweet and smokey flavors and is nutritious and comforting. both gluten-free and vegan.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (1½ pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can of full-fat coconut milk, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish
- Pepitas, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a big pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Saute for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onion is tender, adding salt as needed and plenty of freshly ground pepper. Cook the apple and sweet potatoes for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring periodically, until they start to soften.
- Stir in the smoked paprika, coriander, ginger, and garlic. Add the coconut milk and three cups of broth after adding the apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Let the soup cool somewhat before pouring it into a blender. If required, puree the soup in batches. Add up to 1 cup more broth and mix your soup if it is too thick. If preferred, garnish with a swirl of coconut milk, pepitas, cilantro, and Aleppo pepper after seasoning to taste. Serving suggestion: crusty bread
- As it cools, this soup gets thicker. Add a little water when reheating to achieve a smooth, creamy consistency.