The filling for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas is tender shredded chicken and cheese, which are then wrapped in tortillas and covered in sour cream sauce. absolute comfort
For Chicken Enchiladas a delicious supper, serve with a side of tomato basil rice or cilantro tomato rice and a crisp salad.
This meal is rich, cheesy, and utterly filling. It’s simple to prepare and, along with homemade mac & cheese, is my absolute favorite dish.
Due to the sour cream and green enchilada sauce being combined in the sauce, this dish is also known as white chicken enchiladas or green chile enchiladas (instead of a traditional red enchilada sauce).
Although flour tortillas are a great alternative if you like them, this recipe is usually made with corn tortillas. Heat the tortillas before rolling them to prevent cracking.
In order to slightly brown the edges and add flavor, I set them immediately over low heat on my gas burner.
These are made even creamier by the inclusion of cream cheese and Monterey jack. This recipe works nicely with whatever cheese you enjoy.
For this recipe, you can use rotisserie chicken, baked chicken breasts, or poached chicken. Use any leftover turkey you may have from the holidays as well. (Or attempt to prepare turkey enchiladas!)
How to Make Enchilada Chicken
The greatest chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, so start with chicken breasts or thighs (boneless or bone-in will work). I frequently prepare large amounts of CrockPot Shredded Chicken to store in the freezer for dishes like this!
According to the size of the chicken, bake bone-in Chicken Enchiladas or thighs (or both) at 350°F for 45–55 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Take out of the oven, then shred with two forks.
Make Chicken Enchiladas at Home
The remainder of the dinner can be prepared once the chicken has been cooked and shredded:
- Sour cream and green enchilada sauce are combined to make the sauce.
- To prepare the filling, soften the poblano pepper, onion, and garlic in a skillet. Add the cream cheese, canned green chilies, and chopped-up chicken.
- Fill Tortillas: Heat the tortillas for a few seconds in the oven, in a nonstick pan over a gas flame, or both (this keeps them from cracking). Fill, then roll.
- Cover the baking dish with the cheese and remaining sauce before baking.
The oven-baked chicken enchilada casserole version of these creamy chicken enchiladas is equally delicious. Instead of baking, layer the ingredients and cook them at 350°F for an hour with the lid off. Enjoy!
My family loves making this simple chicken enchilada dish because it is delicious, creamy, and so satisfying.
|35 minutes are spent on preparation.
Time to cook: 55 minutes
1 hour 30 minutes in total
portions: 5 portions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 poblano pepper or ½ green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces mild green chiles undrained
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- ¾ cup sour cream divided
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce divided
- 1 ½ cup Monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped, optional
- 10 corn tortillas 6″ (or flour tortillas)
Instructions for Chicken Enchiladas
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Olive oil is used to cook peppers, onions, and garlic until they are tender. Add cumin, cream cheese, and green chilies. until melted, stir. Add the chicken, 1/4 cup sour cream, and 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, and stir.
- Enchilada sauce and the last 1/2 cup of sour cream are combined. In a 9×13 pan, distribute 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture on the bottom.
- Heat tortillas gently or fry them (I heat mine over the gas stove to add a smoky flavor).
- Each tortilla should include 2 teaspoons of cheese. Add 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture and a little amount of cilantro to the top. Place the pan seam-side-down after rolling. the remaining tortillas, and repeat.
- Add the remaining cheese and enchilada sauce on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20–25 minutes. 10 minutes should pass before serving.
Serving: 2enchiladas | Calories: 583 | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 1257mg | Potassium: 410mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1574IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 371mg | Iron: 2mg