$7.04 RECIPE / $1.76 SERVING
Do you want to cook some BBQ but don’t have access to a grill?
These BBQ Chicken Sandwiches take approximately 30 minutes to prepare and cost only a few dollars per serving, making them a quick, affordable, and delectable option to satisfy your BBQ desire.
This is a recipe you’ll want to keep in your back pocket since it’ll come in handy for quick weekday meals!
OPTIONS FOR COLESLAW
I love the combo of BBQ and ranch dressing, so for this sandwich, I created a quick “ranch slaw” with bagged coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) and a thick ranch dressing.
If you don’t like ranch (which a lot of people don’t), try my creamy coleslaw recipe instead. It’s also fantastic with a grill!
OTHER TOPPING IDEAS FOR BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
Because that’s how I roll, I kept my BBQ Chicken Sandwiches simple, but if you want to get fancy, here are some other things you can put on top of your sandwich:
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh red onions
- Sliced avocado
- Pineapple slices
- French Fried Onions
WHAT IS THE BEST BARBEQUE SAUCE?
For this dish, you can use pretty much any type of BBQ sauce, so use whichever brand or flavor you choose.
I’m not particular when it comes to BBQ sauce, so I went with what I had on hand, which was a Kroger brand hickory smoke-flavored BBQ sauce.
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauces are also a good budget alternative. You can also try producing your own BBQ sauce at home.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES?
I love sweet potatoes with BBQ, so these Spicy Sweet Potato Fries are perfect as a side dish for these BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. On the side, thick-cut steak fries (with possibly some Comeback Sauce) would be fantastic.
If you’re looking for something a little more fresh and vivid to liven up the meal, consider Cowboy Caviar! Alternatively, try my new favorite, Loaded Smashed Potatoes!
BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES
- 1 tsp smoked paprika ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs ($2.99)
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil ($0.04)
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce ($0.11)
- 7 oz. coleslaw mix* ($0.65)
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.20)
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing ($0.37)
- 4 buns ($2.49)
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic, powder, salt, and pepper. To make them more sandwich-sized, cut any large chicken thighs in half (you’ll need four pieces altogether). Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the spice mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Swirl to coat the skillet’s surface once it’s hot. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until the chicken thighs are nicely browned and cooked through, before adding the seasoned chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the fire and coat both sides of each piece with BBQ sauce.
- In a mixing dish, combine the coleslaw mix, chopped green onions, and ranch dressing. Stir until everything is well blended and the dressing is uniformly distributed.
- Place one piece of BBQ chicken on each bun and top with a generous scoop of ranch slaw to make the sandwiches. Serve right away.
* This is a pre-shredded cabbage and carrot mix in a bag. Half of a 14 oz. of the bag was used.
- Serving: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 415.23 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32.28 g
- Protein: 28.18 g
- Fat: 18.73 g
- Sodium: 1552.98 mg
- Fiber: 2.3 g
BBQ CHICKEN SANDWICHES – STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl To make them more sandwich-sized, cut any large chicken thighs in half. You’ll need roughly 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the prepared spices.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium heat. When the skillet is heated, swirl the oil around to coat the bottom, then add the seasoned thighs. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and coat both sides with BBQ sauce (about 1/4 cup total).
- Combine 7 oz. (half of a 14 oz. bag) coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots), 2 sliced green onions, and 1/4 cup ranch dressing to make the ranch slaw.
- Stir until everything is well blended and the dressing is uniformly distributed.
- Place one piece of chicken on bread and top with a generous scoop of ranch slaw to make the BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.