$1.73 RECIPE / $0.29 SERVING
Buffalo sauce is a highly addicting, spicy, tangy, and decadent sauce that is an absolute necessity for your chicken wings.
And the highlight? It is very simple. Just four simple ingredients and approximately five minutes will have you dipping and drizzling your favorite meals in buffalo sauce.
WHAT EXACTLY IS BUFFALO SAUCE?
If you’re not from the United States, you’re undoubtedly wondering how someone manufactured a sauce out of a buffalo, but don’t worry: the sauce is supposed to have originated in Buffalo, New York.
It is an extremely delicious combination of cayenne hot sauce and butter. This basic mix of ingredients hits four of the primary flavor components (salt, fat, acid, and heat), making it extremely tasty and practically addicting.
Depending on the recipe, additional ingredients are sometimes added to enhance the flavor. For my recipe, I kept the sauce rather simple, adding garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce for a touch of depth.
WHAT HOT SAUCE SHOULD BE USED?
Traditionally, Buffalo sauce is produced with Frank’s Original Redhot Sauce, a vinegar-based cayenne hot sauce.
However, I’ve prepared this sauce using other brands of cayenne hot sauce, and they were just as tasty, so if you’re looking to save a little money, you can always choose a different brand. Use vinegar-based cayenne spicy sauce.
The adaptability of this recipe is one of the reasons I adore it. By adding one or two additional components, you can significantly alter the flavor profile of the sauce. Here are some thoughts:
- Honey or brown sugar to make a sweet-spicy sauce
- Smoked paprika for a smokier flavor
- Ranch seasoning for a garlic-herb infused buffalo sauce
- Roasted garlic for an extra garlicky kick
- Cayenne pepper for an extra hot buffalo sauce
DIRECTIONS FOR USING IT
This sauce is not exclusive to chicken wings. This delectable sauce can be used on a variety of other foods. It is ideal for dipping, drizzling, and even dressing. Here are some additional meals that are enhanced by the addition of this sauce:
- Scrambled eggs
- Chicken salad
- Egg salad
- Hot dogs
- Mac and cheese
- Baked potatoes
- Wrap sandwiches
EASY BUFFALO SAUCE
- 4 Tbsp. butter ($0.40)
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Redhot Sauce ($1.26)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($0.05)
- In a small saucepot, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the remaining ingredients (hot sauce, Worcestershire, garlic powder).
- Stir the ingredients together and bring to a simmer. Refrigerate until ready to use or serve hot.
- Serving: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 69 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Sodium: 690 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
HOW TO MAKE BUFFALO SAUCE – DIRECTIONS
- In a small saucepot over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 1/2 cup Frank’s Redhot Sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce once the butter has melted.
- Whisk the ingredients together and heat until warm.
- Use the sauce for dipping or pouring over your favorite foods.
This thick, spicy, and tangy sauce transforms chicken wings into an incredibly irresistible snack in an instant.