$1.51 RECIPE / $0.19 SERVING
Cornbread is an underappreciated side dish.
With just a few pantry ingredients, you can prepare this beautifully sweet and moist homemade cornbread recipe that’s excellent for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Serve it with butter for breakfast, crumbled into soup or chili for lunch, or as a side dish for dinner with collard greens and pork chops.
It’s low-cost, soothing, and really simple to prepare! So throw out that packaged mix and let me show you how to cook it right. 😉
HOW DO YOU SERVE CORNBREAD?
Cornbread is an excellent side dish for any substantial soup, stew, or chili. Cornbread can be dipped or crumbled into the saucy stews, absorbing all of the flavors.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Chili, Weeknight Black Bean Chili, Glazed Pork Chops, and Mexican Red Lentil Stew are some of my favorites. This cornbread recipe is also fantastic for breakfast with eggs!
ADD-ONS TO CORNBREAD
Consider adding ingredients like cheddar cheese, roasted corn kernels, sliced green chiles, chili spice, jalapenos, blueberries, or even cooked sausage to your cornbread to make it a little more interesting.
WHICH BAKING DISH SHOULD I USE?
While I prefer to bake my cornbread in a glass pie dish, you can use just about any baking dish.
An 8-inch casserole dish or a 10-inch cast-iron pan may hold this amount of batter (although you should preheat the skillet as the oven preheats).
The greatest baking dishes are glass, ceramic, and cast iron, however, metal baking dishes can also be used.
INSTEAD, MAKE CORN MUFFINS
Yes, you can pour this batter into a muffin tin that has been lightly greased, filling each well about 3/4 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes at the same temperature, or until golden brown on top. This recipe yields around 10 corn muffins
EASY HOMEMADE CORNBREAD RECIPE
Instead of using a boxed mix, prepare this Quick and Easy Homemade Cornbread, which is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal ($0.24)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour ($0.15)
- 1/4 cup sugar ($0.20)
- 4 tsp baking powder ($0.24)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1 cup milk ($0.31)
- 1 large egg ($0.27)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil ($0.08)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and brush the inside of a 9-inch pie pan, cast iron skillet, or 8-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray (or butter for more flavor).
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing basin and stir until well blended.
- Whisk the milk, egg, and oil together in a separate basin.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients dish and stir until everything is moistened. Over stirring should be avoided. It’s fine if there are a couple of lumps.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and edges. Serve in 8 pieces.
- Serving: 1 Serving
- Calories: 241.23 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 35.39 g
- Protein: 4.79 g
- Fat: 9.15 g
- Sodium: 352.61 mg
- Fiber: 1.19 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING CORNBREAD FROM SCRATCH
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and brush a 9-inch pie plate or an 8-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray. Combine 1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing basin. Make sure everything is fully combined.
- 1 cup milk, 1 large egg, and 1/4 cup frying oil are whisked together in a separate basin.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the wet and dry ingredients…
- And whisk until all of the ingredients are moistened. Over-stirring the mixture can cause the gluten in the flour to form, making the final result rubbery, so it’s fine if there are a few lumps. There’s no need to whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top and edges are golden brown. Depending on your dish and oven, the baking time may vary somewhat.
- The top will crack slightly and look delectable.
- Alternatively, you can pour the batter into an oiled muffin tray and fill each well 3/4 full. You’ll get roughly 10 corn muffins out of this recipe.
- Bake the muffins for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown on top, at the same temperature.
- Cut it into eight pieces and serve! YUM!
Never underestimate the power of simplicity. 🙂