- Recipe: Matcha Latte
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This simple recipe for a matcha latte only calls for three ingredients. It is rich, warm, and packed with antioxidants, making it ideal for cool days.
I’ve been smitten with matcha ever since our first trip to Japan. Matcha smoothies, matcha ice cream, and matcha donuts… I adore them all, but a creamy matcha latte is my preferred way to consume matcha.
In this recipe, coconut milk and the somewhat bitter matcha taste combine to make the ideal creamy flavor balance.
I prefer to brew my matcha latte at home because matcha lattes from coffee shops are frequently overly sweet.
What is matcha?
Green tea leaves are processed to create matcha powder. In contrast to steeped green tea, the entire tea leaf is consumed in a matcha latte.
Matcha, therefore, contains almost 10 times more nutrients than normal green tea! (Click here for a list of further matcha advantages.) Naturally, we enjoy it because it tastes delicious.
I adore using matcha powder in sweet dishes like smoothies, ice cream, milkshakes, icing, and even doughnuts since it has a mildly bitter, earthy flavor.
Making a Matcha Latte
The recipe for this matcha latte is very simple. There are only three ingredients (plus a tiny bit of sweetener, if you like), and no special barista tools or abilities are required.
A little kitchen whisk or milk frother can foam it up just as well, but if you plan to make a lot of lattes, you may want to invest in an actual (and extremely cute) matcha whisk. How to do it is as follows:
- Sift your matcha powder first. This step will help make your matcha latte smooth, creamy, and lump-free because it clumps readily and the clumps might be challenging to whisk away.
- Place the matcha in a mug and top it with hot, just-boiled water. Stir constantly until all of the matcha green tea powder has been incorporated. To get your matcha to froth, use an up-and-down or side-to-side motion on your whisk rather than the customary circular motion.
- Almond milk is delicious too!) over the foamy water and whisk the mixture one more to froth the milk.
- Decide how much sweetness, if any, you want to add after tasting your latte. I enjoy a tiny bit of maple syrup on mine.
That’s it! Enjoy.
|5 minutes to prepare
Total of 5 minutes
This latte only requires three ingredients and is full of healthy antioxidants. a warm, nutritious beverage for chilly days. Vegan!
- ½ – 1 teaspoon matcha
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ cup warmed coconut milk
- Maple syrup, honey, stevia, or sweetener of choice, optional
- Sift your matcha to remove any lumps.
- Put some matcha in a big mug. Stir quickly, up and down, while adding the hot water, until foamy, about 30 seconds. Stir in the coconut milk after adding it.
- Depending on your preferences, add more water, coconut milk, or sweetener aftertaste.
- I used light coconut milk, but if you want a fuller latte, you could use full-fat coconut milk.