$4.74 RECIPE / $0.40 EACH
I made these gorgeous tiny little pecan pies a few years ago, then a pumpkin pie version last year, and now I’m repeating it with a savory pie!
Or, to be more precise, a quiche. Mini Broccoli Cheddar Quiches are a fun grab-and-go breakfast option, as well as fantastic finger food for brunch or Easter parties. They’re so adorable that they’ll impress any visitor!
CAN I PREPARE THEM IN ADVANCE?
These mini quiches are best served immediately after baking, but I enjoyed the leftovers as well. If I were giving these to visitors, I would absolutely prepare them the day before.
I’d cheerfully consume the leftovers over the course of a few days if I were making them for myself. The most noticeable difference is that the crust softens while it sits in the refrigerator. In the fridge, they’ll last approximately 3-4 days.
CAN MINI QUICHES BE FROZEN?
I did freeze a couple of the quiches to see how well they kept up (mostly for meal prep purposes). I microwaved one for one minute, straight from the freezer, and it came out piping hot and wonderful, but with a very soft crust.
I thawed the second quiche overnight in the refrigerator before heating it up in the microwave. That procedure produced results similar to the one obtained by microwaving directly from the freezer.
EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT FLAVORS
You can experiment with different taste combinations by replacing broccoli and cheddar. Here are some other elements to consider:
- Sausage (browned)
- Onion (sautéed)
- Bell pepper (sautéed)
- Spinach (sautéed)
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Swiss cheese
- Smoked mozzarella
MINI BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUICHES
INGREDIENTS FOR MINI BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUICHES
- 8 Tbsp. butter, room temperature ($0.80)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature ($0.58)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour ($0.07)
- 2 large eggs ($0.46)
- 1/2 cup milk ($0.10)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan ($0.44)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked pepper ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/2 lb. frozen broccoli florets, thawed ($1.08)
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded ($0.58)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, combine the room temperature butter and cream cheese. Whip them together in a mixer until they are equally incorporated.
- Stir and add the flour one-quarter cup at a time until a dough forms. It’s important that the dough is soft, but not sticky.
- 12 equal amounts of dough (begin by dividing into four pieces, then divide each quarter into three equal-sized pieces). Roll each piece of dough into a ball, then place each one in a muffin tin’s well. Press the dough into the center and up the edges of the wells with your fingertips (see step by step photos below for more help).
- In a mixing dish, combine the eggs, milk, Parmesan, garlic powder, pepper, and salt.
- Broccoli florets, thawed and finely chopped (about 1.5 cups once chopped). Cheddar cheese should be shredded (about 1 cup shredded). Stir add the broccoli and cheddar cheese into the egg mixture.
- Fill the small pie crusts with the broccoli cheddar mixture. Although the liquid egg mixture will not completely submerge the broccoli and cheddar in the crusts, it will puff up and fill the space once baked.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the tiny quiches for 35 minutes, or until puffed in the center and golden brown around the edges.
- Place the baked quiches on a wire rack to cool. Within two hours after baking, serve warm or at room temperature.
NUTRITION IN MINI BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUICHES
- Serving: 1 mini quiche
- Calories: 213 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Sodium: 259 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING MINI BROCCOLI CHEDDAR QUICHES
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine 8 tablespoons of room temperature butter and 4 ounces of room temperature cream cheese in a mixing dish.
- In a mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Start by adding a quarter cup of all-purpose flour at a time until a dough forms (it should be similar in texture to play dough). In total, you’ll need 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Cut the dough into 12 similar-sized pieces. To begin, divide the dough into four equal pieces. After that, cut each quarter into three equal-sized pieces. Make a ball out of each piece and place it in the muffin tin’s wells. Using your fingertips, press the dough down and up the edges of the muffin pan wells. Make sure to get into the well’s corners, where a lot of dough might accumulate and become too thick.
- 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl
- 1/2 pound coarsely chopped frozen broccoli florets You’ll need about 1.5 cups once everything is cut up.
- To the egg mixture, add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and chopped broccoli.
- Half-fill the teeny-tiny pie crusts with the filling.
- Don’t be concerned if the liquid egg and milk mixture does not completely cover the broccoli and cheddar. The egg will expand out and around the broccoli as it bakes. Just make sure they all have about the same amount of food in them.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the broccoli cheddar quiches for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve the tiny quiches after they’ve cooled on a wire rack. With a butter knife inserted between the tin and the quiche’s side, it should simply slip out.
When they’re hot, just be cautious with them because they’ll be a little delicate. Serve warm or at room temperature within two hours of baking. Alternatively, store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.