- Food: Strawberry Salad
- Writer: Nicolas Wilson
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This strawberry salad recipe, a sweeter variation on a classic Caprese salad, is brimming with flavor from cherry tomatoes, basil, and tart balsamic vinegar.
This strawberry salad recipe is from our first cookbook, and it’s received a lot of positive feedback. It’s a fantastic illustration of how fresh, in-season ingredients can mix to make a delectable dish in no time, much like so many other spring and summer salads.
Even though there are only ten ingredients in this strawberry salad, it offers a fantastic mix of textures and flavors.
A handful of soft summer basil lends an unexpected fresh flavor to the peak-season berries, which are sweet and luscious.
Add some cheese and sliced avocado for richness, nuts for crunch, and a splash of tart balsamic vinegar for tang, and you’ve got yourself a delectable summer supper. Best of all, it just takes 15 minutes to put it together!
Ingredients for Strawberry Salad
This strawberry salad is a unique twist on the classic Caprese salad. Of course, tomatoes and basil are a marriage made in heaven, but you’re missing out if you haven’t tried fresh strawberries with basil.
I blend all three to produce the salad’s basis. Then I add these straightforward ingredients:
- The richness and creamy texture come from avocado and fresh mozzarella.
- Pecans that have been toasted for a nutty crunch
- And to tie it all together, a simple balsamic reduction! The acidic balsamic complements the luscious strawberries well.
In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the berries, tomatoes, basil, avocado, mozzarella, and pecans to cover them in a splash of olive oil. Drizzle the salad with the balsamic reduction and season to taste with salt & pepper when ready to serve. Then get to work!
Variations on Strawberry Salad
This strawberry salad, like most salad recipes, is adaptable. Feel free to experiment with it to see what you can come up with or to suit your personal preferences. To get you started, here are a few suggestions:
- Toss in a handful of baby spinach to make it a strawberry spinach salad. Arugula would also be delicious!
- Instead of the balsamic reduction and olive oil, use a plain balsamic vinaigrette.
- Simply leave out the cheese for a vegan version. You won’t miss the avocado because it offers lots of creaminess.
- To make this salad a complete meal, add a cup of quinoa or farro.
- For a late-summer twist, use peaches instead of strawberries.
- Add another herb to the mix! Berries and mint are two of my favorite combinations.
- Substitute a substitute nut or seed for the pecans. Toasted walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, or even roasted chickpeas would be delicious in this salad.
- To add a salty, sour accent, replace the mozzarella with crumbled goat cheese or feta cheese.
Suggestions for Serving Strawberry Salad
This strawberry salad recipe, in my opinion, may be served as a main or side dish. It’s a terrific barbecue side when paired with vegetable burgers, black bean burgers, BBQ jackfruit sandwiches, or portobello mushroom burgers.
It also goes well with asparagus soup, carrot ginger soup, or gazpacho as a summer supper. Add a slice of crusty bread or handmade focaccia for a fresh and healthy lunch if you’re eating it on its own.
Salad with Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar
|Time to Prepare: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Time allotted: 20 minutes
This strawberry salad is ideal for the spring and summer months! Cherry tomatoes, basil, creamy mozzarella, and acidic balsamic vinegar infuse this dish with flavor. To make it vegan, leave out the cheese.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup pecans, toasted
- 1 cup halved mini mozzarella balls
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- ⅓ cup loosely packed basil, torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the balsamic vinegar to a high simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the vinegar has thickened and decreased by half. Allow cooling before serving.
- In a shallow bowl or tray, combine the strawberries, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado, pecans, and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently. Drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- By removing the cheese, you can make this vegan.