Cowboy beans alone are a complete supper! An easy tomato barbecue sauce with bacon is cooked with ground beef and a variety of nutritious beans.
Cowboy Beans are delicious because they are sweet and salty.
Cowboy Baked Beans: What are they?
These beans are tasty and filling. The ingredients in cowboy beans include bacon, beans, meat, onions, and a number of seasonings.
The tangy sauce is a concoction of brown sugar, cider vinegar, bbq sauce, and ketchup.
Everyone will be requesting this simple recipe, whether it is baked in the oven or slow-cooked in a crockpot! We adore serving them with cornmeal or tortillas. Additionally, tasty corn fritters are simple to make. To complete a delicious supper, serve a pitcher of homemade lemonade and a classic macaroni salad with plenty of tangs.
Variations and Ingredients
We utilize kidney, pinto, and great northern beans in combination. A complete can of pork and beans is also added. For an increase in nutrients and texture, feel free to add black beans, split peas, or even garbanzo beans!
We prefer to use ground beef and bacon for this recipe, but you can also use leftover steak, ham, or even slices of Polish sausage! It has the consistency of a stew.
For a true cowboy kick, try adding bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, or jalapenos!
Baked beans versus Cowboy Beans
Compared to conventional baked beans, these beans are unique.
- For a heartier dinner, ground beef has been added to this recipe.
- Despite having a sauce, they are significantly less “saucy” than conventional baked beans.
- The sauce has a little stronger BBQ flavor.
Cowboy Baked Beans Recipe
Although cowboy baked beans are a robust supper, they are not difficult to prepare. It’s easy!
- Crisp up half of the bacon in a pan. crumble as it cools.
- In some bacon oil, cook some meat and onions.
- In a casserole dish, combine all the ingredients. Sprinkle uncooked bacon on top.
- Bake as directed in the recipe below, uncovered.
For slow cookers or crock pots
- In a pan over medium heat, cook bacon.
- Remove all the bacon fat except for 1 Tbsp. When the beef is no longer pink, add onion.
- All ingredients should be combined in the Crockpot.
- Cook covered for 2 to 3 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low. Serve the dish with bacon crumbles on top.
Keep securely covered for 3–4 days in the refrigerator.
Simply give them a toss, reheat them in the microwave, and taste-test the seasonings.
Pour cold beans into a zipped bag with the date written on it to freeze. Put in the freezer flat. To save space, bags can be stacked vertically when frozen. Cowboy-baked beans that are frozen will maintain their flavor for at least three months.
These hearty, flavorful Cowboy Beans are the ideal side dish for a BBQ or party.
|ten minutes to prepare
1 hour 20 minutes to cook
1 hour 30 minutes in total
- 1 pound bacon divided
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 2 cans pork and beans 16 ounces
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cans of kidney beans 16 ounces each, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of pinto beans 16 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 can great northern beans 16 ounces, drained and rinsed
- 1 ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup barbecue sauce plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon each salt & pepper or to taste
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Half of the raw bacon should be reserved for topping. Over medium heat, crisp up the other half of the bacon. Use a slotted spoon to remove and set aside. Remove all the fat but one tablespoon. Crash some bacon.
- Drain any fat before adding ground beef and onion to the same pan and cooking over medium heat until no pink is visible.
- All ingredients should be combined well in a 9×13 pan. Add the remaining uncooked bacon on top and finish with the leftover barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, uncovered, or until bacon is crisp.
crock pot instructions
- Make the recipe as directed above, except crisp up the bacon completely. For the garnish, set aside half of the crispy bacon.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a 6 qt slow cooker after combining them all.
- Cook covered for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.
- Prior to serving, top with the saved bacon.
Ingredients in the sauce can be doubled for a saucier dish.
Calories: 556 | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1900mg | Potassium: 1071mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 708IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 5mg