One of our go-to supper alternatives is the chicken divan, and it couldn’t be more delectable.
This simple divan dish combines chicken and broccoli with a rich, creamy sauce before baking it until it is hot and bubbling.
With one of my favorite flavor combinations—chicken, broccoli, and cheddar cheese—this recipe is a classic. It is not surprising at all that this Chicken Divan recipe has been a favorite among so many households for so long.
Simple Divan Chicken Chicken Broccoli Divan is a simple casserole that can be prepared quickly, making it the ideal midweek supper choice.
It may be prepared in less than 30 minutes if you use rotisserie chicken or leftover baked chicken breasts. This is one dish your family will request repeatedly, especially when it’s accompanied by a crisp, fresh green salad and some bread with homemade garlic butter.
Cheddar cheese, milk, condensed mushroom soup, and sour cream are the main ingredients in the sauce that gives Chicken its distinctively rich and creamy flavor.
If cream of mushroom soup is not readily available, cream of chicken, cheddar, or broccoli also tastes fantastic in this recipe! While some recipes call for mayo when making Chicken, I rather like sour cream.
For Chicken, I always steam fresh broccoli, but you can also add cauliflower or asparagus (and occasionally we season it with a little curry powder, too)!
IF YOU HAVE LEFTOVER CHICKEN (OR TURKEY), IT IS PERFECT IN THIS Mix. The chicken is cooked before it is added to the recipe. Since poached chicken is SO simple to make, I usually make it and shred it instead.
TOPPING: This Chicken Divan casserole’s butter and breadcrumb topping is the ideal finishing touch. Simply continue baking until the topping is brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
Chicken and Broccoli Divan Recipe
Fresh broccoli always has the best flavor and doesn’t turn out wet or mushy like frozen broccoli occasionally does when I cook Chicken Divan.
- To get your broccoli somewhat tender-crisp (as it will cook more in the oven), steam it for a few minutes. Drain it thoroughly (to keep your sauce from getting watery)
- Combine the ingredients for the divan sauce.
- In a dish, combine the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle on the cheese sauce and buttery breadcrumbs.
Bake for around 20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden! Easy as pie.
Chicken Divan tastes fantastic with noodles or even some creamy mashed potatoes, however, I generally eat it over rice (or garlic butter rice).
The casserole reheats beautifully if you don’t eat the entire thing (which we typically do around here because it’s SO wonderful). You can easily reheat the Chicken in the microwave, the oven, or on the stove. I usually add a little milk to keep it creamy before reheating.
- 1 ½ pound fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cooked chicken cubed
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup milk
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 10 ½ ounces can condense Cream of Mushroom or chicken soup
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder onion powder, dry mustard, and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Set the oven to 400 °F.
- Cook the broccoli for two to three minutes, or just until it is crisp and tender, in a large pot of boiling water. Good drainage
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, milk, condensed soup, sour cream, and seasonings should all be combined in a medium bowl.
- Spread into a 3-quart casserole dish after combining the chicken and broccoli (or a 9×13 pan). Add the remaining cheese on top.
- Butter and bread crumbs should be combined in a small bowl. The chicken mixture should be covered with the topping.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the stew is bubbling and heated and the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- As desired, serve the dish over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.