Anyone can make these restaurant-quality lamb gyros at home because they’re so simple to prepare! With handmade tzatziki sauce and a ton of fresh vegetables, thinly sliced lamb is stacked in pita bread.
Lunch idea: make these tasty Lamb Gyros recipes and filling gyro sandwiches! Try serving the gyros with a tasty Greek pasta salad or a Greek quinoa salad to complete your dinner. Or simply simple home fries that are ideal for dipping in more gyro sauce!
Describe a gyro
Gyros are pita-based sandwiches made with gyro meat, fresh toppings, and a delicious gyro sauce that has Greek origins.
On a vertical spit with piled meat slices, lamb is traditionally used to make gyro meat. After that, the flesh is removed and used in lamb gyros.
The most popular meat in the US is ground beef. Additionally, you can buy cooked deli lamb meat from a shop and reheat it before serving.
This dish will undoubtedly become a favorite! What’s not to love about this dish created with soft pita bread stuffed with lamb meat, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and feta cheese, then topped with homemade tzatziki sauce?
It’s as simple as 1, 2, and 3 to make this dish! Simply follow the simple directions for the best-tasting homemade gyro dish, which is ideal for any home cook to attempt:
- Prepare the tzatziki sauce and garnishes.
- Prepare ground lamb gyro meat or reheat deli meat (see recipe below).
- Pita bread should be served with meat and garnishes.
Before you begin cooking, prepare all of the toppings so that you can assemble the gyros, add sauce, and serve right away. Lamb Gyros!
Recipe for Gyro Meat
Although we used pre-cooked gyro meat from the deli for this recipe, you may easily create your own by following the instructions. Once cooked, slice thinly, place into pita bread, then top with your preferred garnishes!
In either case, this traditional Greek dish is wonderful. It’s perfect and gives you the impression that you’re in a restaurant.
- ½ pound cooked gyro meat deli
- ½ teaspoon oil
- 2 slices of pita bread
- 2 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 Campari tomato sliced
- ⅓ cup lettuce chopped
- ¼ red onion sliced
- Tzatziki sauce
Homemade Gyro Meat
- ½ pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ onion grated on small holes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oil for cooking
- The pitas should be heated in a toaster or oven (or use cold bread).
- Slice the garnishes, then make the tzatziki sauce.
- Gyro meat should be cut into thin strands. Grease a skillet and sear the gyro meat.
- Place meat on pita bread, then add preferred garnishes.
Make your Gyro meat at home
- Combine all the ingredients for the lamb gyro in a bowl, and then pat the meat into thin patties.
- Once the oil is hot, add the patty to the skillet.
- Cook the patties until it is browned, then turn them over and continue cooking.
- The meat should be cooked before being cut into long, thin strands and served.