Only three ingredients are needed to make this slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken, which is ideal for tacos, burritos, and salads.
This chicken is easy to make in the Crockpot or Instant Pot and is naturally Whole30 and paleo. It was inspired by our favorite Mexican restaurant.
Why Is This Mexican Chicken in the Slow Cooker So Delicious?
- It was inspired by our favorite Mexican restaurant’s shredded chicken. Talk about restaurant-level service!
- It’s ridiculously simple to make. Stir in a few ingredients, cook on low in a Crockpot or slow cooker, shred the chicken, and you’re done!
- I have a terrific trick for shredding the chicken quickly.
- The chicken is flavorful, tender, and juicy.
- This slow cooker Mexican chicken is great in tacos, burritos, chimichangas, salads, and burrito bowls
- This recipe is also very cost-effective!
- Hello, three components!
How to Make Mexican Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Well, oh, it’s so simple. Are you all set?
In a slow cooker, combine the chicken breasts, salsa, and taco seasoning. If your taco seasoning does not include salt, add a few good pinches. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours, covered.
Chicken should be shredded. I like to do this by simply using my hand mixer and shredding the chicken on low speed (Really!). You can also shred the chicken by hand with two forks.
Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, stirring to include all of the liquids. Cook for 30 minutes on high or 60 minutes on low, uncovered. Serve!
Tips & Variations
- Taco seasoning can be made at home. It’s simple, and you have complete control over the additives and sodium content. If you’re doing the Whole30 and can’t have many of the anti-caking chemicals and sugars found in commercial taco seasoning blends, this is the recipe for you.
- Using your hand mixer, shred the chicken quickly. If you don’t beat the chicken on low, you’ll wind up with salsa splattered all over your walls!
- Use a slow cooker liner to make cleanup a breeze.
Uses for Mexican Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- Avocado salsa, chipotle aioli, or queso fresco tacos (Queso fresco is fantastic, but we also prefer shredded cheese for a gringo taco).
- As a burrito bowl, for example. Simply substitute chicken for the carnitas in this recipe.
- Rice, beans, shredded lettuce, cheese, and salsa in a tortilla.
- Served in chilaquiles.
- During nachos If you don’t eat dairy, try this vegan queso.
Directions for the Instant Pot
Do you prefer to use an electric pressure cooker or an Instant Pot? No worries. Follow the steps below:
- In an Instant Pot, combine the chicken breasts, taco seasoning, and salsa. No water should be added. Cook for 20 minutes on Manual High Pressure with the valve in the Sealing position. Quick Discharge.
- Chicken breasts should be removed from the pot. Return to saucepan after shredding with two forks. Stir for a few minutes on Sauté mode, till sauce is absorbed.
Mexican Shredded Chicken in a Slow Cooker
|Preparation time: 10 minutes
3 hours 30 minutes to cook
3 hours 40 minutes in total
Only three ingredients are needed to make this easy Mexican shredded chicken in the slow cooker. You’d never guess this dish was so simple because the chicken is so soft and tasty!
Ingredients For Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts a little less than 2 pounds
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- salt if desired
Instructions For Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Mix all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Water should not be added. If your taco seasoning doesn’t have salt, add a couple of pinches.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours, covered.
- Either with two forks or a hand blender, shred the chicken. For more information, see the Note.
- If you shredded the chicken on a chopping board or plate, return it to the slow cooker. Cook for 30 minutes on High or 60 minutes on Low, stirring occasionally.
- Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads, and burrito bowls are all good options.
Notes on Storage
- Refrigerate for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Use a hand mixer on low speed to shred the chicken effortlessly. Transfer cooked chicken breasts to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat on low to medium speed.
If you’re doing the Whole30, make sure your salsa and taco seasoning are both Whole30-approved.
- To create this Instant Pot recipe, mix all ingredients in the Instant Pot and stir to incorporate.
- No water should be added. Cook for 20 minutes on high pressure. Return the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot after a quick release and shredding. Cook for a few minutes in Sauté mode, till liquid, is absorbed.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 117kcal, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Sodium: 657mg, Potassium: 498mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Vitamin A: 455IU, Vitamin C: 2.8mg, Calcium: 24mg, Iron: 0.7mg, Net Carbs: 4g