Food: Everything Bagel Seasoning
Content-Type: Food Blog
When you have this everything bagel spice on hand, well, you’ll sprinkle it on anything! It tastes good and is crispy, nutty, and garlicky.
I originally made this Everything Bagel Seasoning, but once I had it on hand, I started sprinkling it on everything. The roasted vegetables, eggs, avocado toast, and other foods are all made more delectable by their nutty, garlicky flavor and enticing crunch.
If you can buy a container of everything bagel seasoning at Trader Joe’s, why would you make your own? I get what you’re saying, but making your own seasoning blend has one major advantage over buying one from the store: you get to decide the ratios.
The everything bagel seasoning in the recipe that follows is the way I want it to be made; it’s more sesame-forward than salt-forward
. You can modify it whatever you like; it tastes fine as is. Increase the amount of onion or salt, or add extra dried garlic or poppy seeds if you prefer your mixture that way.
As you go, add flavor and modify. You’ll know you’ve done it right if, like me, you can’t stop eating it straight from the bowl!
INGREDIENTS IN EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING
This recipe for everything bagel seasoning simply calls for 5 basic ingredients:
- Sesame seeds — The sesame seeds, in my opinion, are the star of everything bagel spice. Their toasted, nutty flavor complements the dried onion, garlic, and salt nicely. This seasoning blend is an eye-catching combination of black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds, but if you can’t get both, just one will do.
- Poppy seeds: For a crunchy snack!
- Minced onion and garlic that have been dried add a lot of oniony and garlic taste.
- Flaky sea salt is by far the best; I’ve also made everything bagel seasoning using coarse sea salt and kosher salt. While the coarse salt in this mixture is overly salty, the flaked sea salt is delicious. It enhances the other components’ savory, nutty flavors.
Combine the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, and flakes of onion and garlic in a small bowl.
All done! Sesame and poppy seeds could be toasted before being combined, but I actually prefer the taste of the raw seeds in this dish. Do not toast the seeds first if you intend to bake the seasoning on bagels. In the oven, they’ll burn!
USING EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING
On our handmade bagels and pretty much everything else, I adore this seasoning blend! Some of my preferred applications are listed below:
- Over avocado toast, sprinkle it.
- For a dip like hummus or baba ganoush, use it as a garnish! Both of these dips, which contain tahini and garlic, pair incredibly well with the nutty, garlicky flavor of this seasoning mixture.
- Roasted vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or cauliflower are perfect for topping it with! By adding a sprinkle of tahini sauce, this combo will be elevated.
- Add it to cooked potatoes that have been filled with cashew sour cream.
- For a salty, crunchy snack, combine it with roasted chickpeas or popcorn.
- Over your preferred kind of eggs, sprinkle it! I adore it on my sunny-side-up eggs, soft or hard-boiled eggs, and deviled eggs.
Which everything bagel seasoning methods do you prefer? Please tell me in the comments!
EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING
The Everything Bagel recipe is incredibly adaptable and simple to prepare. It may be added to eggs, avocado toast, handmade bagels, and more.
- 4 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, or additional white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, dried minced garlic, and dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- Combine the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, garlic, and sea salt. Add a sprinkle to any of the aforementioned serving ideas, handmade bagels, avocado toast, or other baked goods.
*produces about 1/4 cup.