- Food: White Bean Soup
- Writer: Lizzie Green
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This white bean soup is flavored with fresh lime juice and diced green chiles for a vibrant and zesty flavor. It’s easy to make, creamy, and soothing.
This dish for white bean soup is my tangy vegan take on white chili. It has a rich texture and is incredibly creamy and comforting, but there is no dairy in it.
Fresh toppings like avocado, jalapenos, and cilantro elevate the dish’s sour flavor, which is amplified by lime juice, green chiles, cumin, and coriander.
The dish is SO easy to cook and is both enjoyable and rewarding. Only a small amount of chopping is necessary for this white bean soup, and most of the cooking is done automatically.
On a weeknight, it’s simple to throw together, and if you have leftovers, you’re in luck. As the flavors of this white bean soup meld together in the refrigerator, it only gets better.
Ingredients for White Bean Soup Recipe
What you’ll need to create this recipe for white bean soup is listed below:
- White beans! Great Northern beans, navy beans, or cannellini beans all work well. To give the soup its creamy texture, you’ll purée some and leave others whole.
- Olive oil extra virgin – for richness.
- For a savory depth of flavor, include onion and garlic.
- Poblano pepper: This spice adds a touch of fire.
- Use store-bought or homemade vegetable broth.
- Green chiles, diced, give this straightforward soup a spicy, acidic flavor.
- For an earthy, aromatic flavor, use ground cumin, coriander, and dried oregano.
- Fresh lime juice: This adds a wonderful, vibrant touch to the soup.
- Additionally, add salt and pepper to bring out each flavor.
White Bean Soup: Directions
Making this dish for white bean soup couldn’t be simpler!
First, mix 3/4 cup of broth and half the beans. Now put the puree to the side. Later, you’ll incorporate it into the soup to aid in creating its thick and creamy texture.
Saute the onion and poblano in the meantime. Add the spices, garlic, and green chilies after that. After adding the last of the beans and the stock, simmer for 10 minutes.
The bean purée should then be added. After giving it a thorough stir, boil the soup for a further 20 minutes.
When the soup has reached a simmer, turn off the heat and add the lime juice. Add additional salt, pepper, and lime as desired to taste. I’m done now!
Serving Ideas for White Bean Soup
When it’s time to serve, spoon the soup into bowls and top it with colorful, crunchy fresh garnishes. Listed here are some of my favorites:
- Uncooked cilantro
- Sliced chiles, such as jalapenos or serrano peppers
- Cut-up avocado
- Scallion slices
- Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream, a small amount
- Tangy red onions
- Tortilla chips that have been crushed (not fresh, but still great!)
Jalapeno cornbread or handmade cornbread might be served to finish the meal. If you’re looking for another side dish, consider serving the soup with kale sautéed in butter or a straightforward green salad.
White Bean Soup
|10 minutes to prepare
35 minutes for cooking
Duration: 45 minutes
This dish for white bean soup is creamy, soothing, zesty, and vibrant! For color and crunch, we prefer to serve it with toppings like jalapenos, onions, cilantro, and avocado. Soup leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months or kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- 4½ cups cooked white beans, 3 (14-ounce cans), drained and rinsed, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 (4-ounce) can dice green chiles
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Diced avocado
- Sliced scallions
- Half of the white beans (214 cups) and 1/4 cup of the broth should be blended until smooth in a blender. Place aside.
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a big saucepan or Dutch oven. Cook the onion, poblano, salt, and several grinds of pepper for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring periodically. Cook for 30 seconds while tossing in the green chiles, garlic, cumin, oregano, and coriander. Add the remaining 214 cups of white beans and 314 glasses of broth. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add the bean puree, stir, and cook for 20 minutes without covering. Add the lime juice after turning the heat off. Serve with preferred toppings and lime wedges for squeezing, then season to taste.