This Kani Salad is crisp, fresh, and tasty. A somewhat spicy, creamy sauce is tossed with flaky crab sticks and crunchy cucumber.
You can prepare a restaurant-quality Kani salad at home in just two easy steps!
Why Is This Recipe So Delicious?
- It only takes 10 minutes to prepare! Simply combine all ingredients in a mixing dish, toss to combine, and serve. Make this quick restaurant dish at home to save time and money.
- It’s the perfect combination of creamy and crispy. A mayonnaise-based sauce is complemented with fresh cucumber and crispy breadcrumbs — wonderful!
- It’s quite adaptable and can simply be tailored to your liking! For example, depending on how spicy you want it, add more or less sriracha. Depending on how many crunches you want, reduce or increase the amount of cucumber. Don’t be scared to play around with this Kani salad dish and make it your own.
Kani, also known as surimi or imitation crab meat, can be found in most grocery shops’ seafood areas. Kani is created with a mixture of starch and white fish, then molded to look like crab flesh. Peel threads down each Kani stick until shredded to prepare Kani for this dish. You’ll find that ripping strands off is a breeze!
Cucumber — For this Kani salad dish, you have the option of removing or leaving the skin on the cucumber. The cucumber should be cut into thin matchstick-like pieces for this dish.
If you have a julienne peeler, put it to good use! If not, simply slice the cucumber into thin strands with a sharp knife.
Panko Breadcrumbs – Panko breadcrumbs add a unique crunch to this Kani salad. I like to top my finished dish with a small handful of extra Panko breadcrumbs for even more texture.
- Make the dressing first, then shred the Kani and julienne the cucumber to make this Kani salad ahead of time. Simply toss everything together in a dish when you’re ready to eat and enjoy!
- Refrigerate this dish for 3-4 days in an airtight container. After a day in the fridge, the flavors marinate and the salad becomes even more flavorful and delicious!
- You can easily double or even triple this recipe. This is a great side dish to bring to a party or potluck! If you’re serving this Kani salad to others, I’d suggest going easy on the sriracha. Allow guests to adjust the level of spice in this dish by adding more sriracha if desired.
|Preparation time: 10 minutes
10 minutes total
This Kani salad is crisp, fresh, and tasty. A slightly spicy, creamy dressing is tossed with flaky crab sticks and crunchy cucumber. You can make a restaurant-quality Kani salad at home in just two easy steps!
Ingredients For Kani Salad
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mirin see Notes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
For the salad:
- 12 ounces Kani shredded
- ½ cup cucumber julienned
- 2 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- Large bowl
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
- Toss in the shredded Kani, cucumber juliennes, and Panko breadcrumbs to combine.
Rice vinegar can be substituted for mirin if you don’t have any.
Sriracha: You can use as much or as little sriracha in this recipe as you like.
This recipe serves about 4 people. The nutritional values shown are only suggestions and are based on one serving of four. The macros may differ slightly depending on the type and brand of ingredients used.
Prepare the recipe as directed to determine the weight of one serving. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight (excluding the weight of the container in which the food is stored) by 10. The weight of one serving will be the result.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 203kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 785mg, Potassium: 37mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 23IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 1mg, Net Carbs: 19g