$8.34 RECIPE / $2.09 SERVING
At this time of year, I begin to avoid the oven at all costs.
What should one eat when it is too hot to cook? Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken!
You may allow this delicious chicken to cook in the slow cooker while you enjoy a lazy summer day. Plus, unlike a hot oven, the slow cooker will not force your air conditioner to work overtime. 😉
This slow cooker BBQ chicken is almost too simple. Simply season boneless, skinless chicken breasts with your preferred BBQ sauce and push the start button. After a few hours, the chicken is soft, sour, very saucy, and delectable!
HOW BIG SHOULD THE SLOW COOKER BE?
My 5-quart slow cooker was only about a quarter full, so you may use a smaller cooker if you choose, but I wouldn’t recommend a larger one.
Check the owner’s manual of your slow cooker to determine the minimal amount of food required to prevent cracking.
WHAT KIND OF BBQ SAUCE TO USE
For this chicken, you may basically use any form of barbecue sauce.
I tested the recipe with a very simple and affordable BBQ sauce to ensure that it was still tasty on a budget, but you could easily enhance it by adding a nicer BBQ sauce. You can also experiment with other BBQ sauce flavors, such as smokey, honey, pineapple, spicy, etc.
HOW DO YOU SERVE SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN?
The traditional way to serve this chicken is on bread, similar to a traditional barbecue chicken sandwich. Make it extra delicious by including coleslaw and pickles.
But you can also use this barbecue chicken for tacos, pizza, bowl dishes, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, nachos, and even salads.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOW COOKER BARBECUED CHICKEN?
Whenever I prepare a BBQ dish, I always opt for classic comfort foods such as potato salad, macaroni and cheese, three-bean salad, and Cowboy Caviar as side dishes.
SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN
- 2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.20)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked pepper ($0.03)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs. total) ($6.49)
- 18 oz. BBQ sauce ($1.50)
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the seasoning.
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker, then pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken, ensuring sure it is completely covered.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2.5 hours, or on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- After cooking, shred the chicken using two forks. If the chicken does not separate readily with two forks, simmer it a bit longer.
- Serve the pulled barbecue chicken on a sandwich, on nachos, on over-baked potatoes, on pizza, or with your preferred dish.
- Calories: 393 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Protein: 33 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 1777 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER BBQ CHICKEN – DIRECTIONS
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp garlic powder, 12 tsp salt, and 12 tsp pepper. The seasoning blend is sprinkled on both sides of two boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.3 lbs. total).
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour one 18-ounce bottle of barbecue sauce over it, covering it completely.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 2.5 hours or on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Employing two forks, shred the chicken. If the chicken does not separate easily, cook it for a few minutes longer.
- Give the chicken a thorough swirl to ensure that it is evenly coated in barbecue sauce, and then it is ready to serve!
Now I’m craving a platter of BBQ Chicken Nachos.