$7.80 RECIPE / $1.30 SERVING
In my opinion, one of the most delicious and fulfilling combos is cabbage with sausage.
I’ve cooked cabbage and sausage together in a variety of ways in the past, but I wanted to explore if this easy, hands-off cooking approach would work as well.
What’s the verdict? It’s effective! In a slow cooker, cabbage and sausage become soft, brothy (almost like a cabbage and sausage soup), and utterly delicious.
WHAT TYPE OF SAUSAGE SHOULD BE USED?
This dish calls for smoked sausage. I recommend kielbasa or andouille. During the long, slow simmer, the smokey taste and spices in the sausage help flavor the entire pot, making everything even more delectable!
CHOICES OF POTATOES
I chose baby creamer potatoes since they’re quick and don’t take any chopping, but red or Yukon gold potatoes, diced into 1 to 2-inch pieces, would also work.
Russet potatoes would certainly fall apart far too much in this dish to be useful.
CABBAGE AND SAUSAGE SEASONING
Because I wanted to keep this recipe as easy as possible, I simply used a few teaspoons of steak spice (a chunky mix of salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper).
You may also use Cajun seasoning or something as simple as salt, pepper, paprika, and caraway seeds.
CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE SERVING INSTRUCTIONS
I spooned the cabbage, sausage, potatoes, and liquid into a bowl and ate it as a brothy bowl (not quite a soup, but not quite dry), but you may leave the broth behind with a slotted spoon if you like.
In any case, a side of crusty bread and butter cements this as the ultimate comfort dish.
SLOW COOKER CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE
Servings: 6; 1.5 cups each
- 1.5 lb. baby potatoes ($2.99)
- 1 yellow onion ($0.32)
- 1/2 head chopped cabbage (5-6 cups) ($1.14)
- 2 tsp steak seasoning ($0.20)
- 14 oz. smoked sausage ($2.79)
- 2 cups chicken broth ($0.26)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley (optional garnish) ($0.10)
- Make 1-inch chunks out of the onion. Fill a 5-quart or bigger slow cooker halfway with baby potatoes and onions.
- 1-inch chunks of cabbage Fill the slow cooker halfway with cabbage and steak seasoning.
- Make 12-inch thick rounds out of the sausage. Pour the chicken stock and sausage into the slow cooker. Toss the sausage into the cabbage with a light stir. If the broth does not cover all of the ingredients, that’s fine.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low in the slow cooker with the cover on.
- To mix the ingredients, stir after 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If preferred, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- Serving: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 314 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Sodium: 866 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARING SLOW COOKER CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into 1″ pieces In the bottom of a 5-quart or larger slow cooker, place 1.5-pound baby potatoes and the chopped onion.
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into one-inch chunks (about 5-6 cups once chopped). 2 tsp steak seasoning, chopped cabbage
- 1/2 inch thick rounds of 14 oz. smoked sausage 2 cups chicken broth, sliced sausage
In the slow cooker, mix the ingredients just enough to get the sausage to nestle down into the cabbage.
- Cook for four hours on high or eight hours on low with the lid on the slow cooker. It should resemble this once it has been cooked.
- Serve immediately after mixing everything together and garnishing with chopped parsley (if desired).