$7.87 RECIPE / $1.97 SERVING
My savior is sheet pan dinners.
These smoky roasted sausage and vegetables are simple roasted veggies in the oven, and it also happens to be a delicious way to prepare them. Make a dinner out of it by adding some meat to the vegetables. I also added a homemade smoky vinaigrette to this sheet pan dinner recipe for a flavor boost. This recipe, as always, meal preps beautifully! So make it now and savor it afterward.
WHICH SMOKED SAUSAGE SHOULD I CHOOSE?
For this recipe, you can use any type of smoked sausage. Today I used beef sausage, but you could also use pig, turkey, kielbasa, or any other smoked sausage. Make sure it’s smoked sausage. You want a smokey flavor and a sausage that can be cut easily.
CAN I USE VARIOUS VEGETABLES?
Absolutely! I’d try to incorporate some form of onion, but you may use anything else instead, such as potatoes, zucchini, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, mushrooms, or even potatoes. Simply cut your vegetables into similar-sized pieces to ensure that everything cooks at the same time.
HOW LONG DOES THIS SMOKY ROASTED SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES GO ON FOR?
As with other meal preps, I recommend storing your meal for no more than four days. This dish isn’t the ideal option for freezing, but if you’re not picky, it might be fine after freezing and warming.
SMOKY ROASTED SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES
- 1/4 cup olive oil ($0.64)
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar ($0.20)
- 1 tsp coarse deli mustard (or Dijon) ($0.08)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano ($0.02)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- freshly cracked black pepper ($0.03)
- 1/4 tsp sugar ($0.02)
SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES
- 12 oz. smoked sausage ($2.75)
- 1 lb. broccoli crown ($1.69)
- 1 bell pepper (any color) ($1.00)
- 1 red onion ($0.44)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (uncooked) ($0.20)
- 1 handful chopped parsley ($0.20)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Using parchment paper, line a large baking sheet.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or jar (olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar). Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl or in a jar and shake until well blended. Set aside the vinaigrette.
- Using a 1/2-inch medallion cutter, cut the smoked sausage into 1/2-inch medallions. Broccoli should be cut into small florets. The bell pepper and onion should be diced into 1-inch chunks. On the baking sheet, arrange the sausage, broccoli, bell pepper, and onion.
- Drizzle Toss the sausage and veggies with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette to coat.
- Roast the vegetables for 35-40 minutes, or until browned on the edges, in a well-warmed oven, stirring halfway through.
- Cook the rice while the sausage and vegetables are roasting. In a sauce pot, combine the rice and 2 cups of water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat with the cover on. Once the water has reached a boil, reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat after 15 minutes and leave it undisturbed for another 5 minutes with the lid on. Just before serving, fluff with a fork.
- Add half of the leftover vinaigrette after the sausage and vegetables have done roasting and mix to coat. If necessary, season with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Pour about 3/4 cup rice into each bowl or container, along with 1/4 of the roasted sausage and vegetables, to serve. Finish with a spoonful of vinaigrette and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
NUTRITION IN SMOKY ROASTED SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES
- Serving: 1 serving
- Calories: 660.1 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 50.2 g
- Protein: 17.6 g
- Fat: 42.8 g
- Sodium: 1117.63 mg
- Fiber: 4.38 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING SMOKY ROASTED SAUSAGE AND VEGETABLES
- Preheat the oven to 400 ºF. Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon coarse deli mustard (or Dijon), 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, some freshly cracked pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar in a bowl or jar. Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl, or shut the container and shake until well blended. Remove the dressing and set it away.
- I used smoked beef sausage, broccoli, red onion, and a yellow bell pepper this time, but you may adjust the ingredients to fit your budget or what you have on hand.
- Slice the smoked sausage into 1/2-inch thick slices, floret the broccoli, and dice the onion and bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the sausage and veggies out.
- Toss the sausage and vegetables in 2 tablespoons of the smoky vinaigrette until fully coated.
- In a preheated oven, roast the sausage and vegetables for 35-40 minutes, or until thoroughly browned, stirring once halfway through.
- Cook the rice while the sausage and vegetables are roasting. In a sauce pot, combine 1 cup white rice and 2 cups water. Bring it to a boil over high heat with a lid on top. Once it has reached a boil, reduce the heat to low and leave it to simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat after 15 minutes and let it sit for another 5 minutes with the lid on. Last but not least, fluff it with a fork.
- Drizzle about 1/2 tablespoons of the leftover smoky vinaigrette over the sausage and vegetables when they have finished roasting, and toss to coat. If needed, season with a touch of salt and pepper.
- To serve, pour about a third of a cup of rice into a dish or container, top with 1/4 ounces of roasted sausage and vegetables, and finish with a dollop of vinaigrette. Serve with a sprig of fresh parsley on top.
The Smoky Roasted Sausage and Vegetables can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.