$3.00 RECIPE / $0.75 SERVING
This Southwest Cauliflower Rice is a delicious and simple side dish, or you can dress it up and serve it as a whole meal!
I’m not one of those people who thinks cauliflower tastes like rice. It isn’t the case. Not to me, at least. However, there is something to be said about southwest cauliflower rice.
Alternatively, cauliflower has been chopped into little granules. In and of itself, it’s a fun and helpful element. So today I’m featuring a super-easy riced cauliflower meal. Continue reading to learn how.
CAULIFLOWER RICE: WHAT IS IT?
Cauliflower rice is simply cauliflower granules that have been chopped to the size of rice grains. It absorbs tastes well and is a simple method to get a lot of vegetable fiber in your meals.
This may be found in the frozen area of most big supermarkets, or you can prepare it yourself with a food processor or knife. This will be the subject of a tutorial later this week!
Cauliflower rice became popular during the low-carb craze because many people use it as a rice substitute. I don’t think they’re similar at all, but I think they’re important in their own right.
WITH THE TACO SEASONING, MAKE A SHORTCUT
I seasoned this dish using my Homemade Taco Seasoning (without the cayenne and garlic powder), but you may use one packet of store-bought taco seasoning in place of the herbs and spices indicated in the recipe below if you want to save time or don’t have a well-stocked spice cabinet.
IS IT SPICY OR NON-SPICY?
On the spicy scale, I’d say it’s “medium.” The diced tomatoes with green chiles or the chili powder will provide all of the heat.
If you can’t take spice, search for non-spicy versions of both chili powder and diced tomatoes with green chilies. You can also use fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the green chile tomatoes.
HOW TO SERVE CAULIFLOWER RICE FROM THE SOUTHWEST
Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas, Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas, Baked Beef, and Black Bean Tacos, or Black Bean and Avocado Enchiladas are just a few of the southwest-inspired dishes that this simple recipe goes well with.
However, you could simply add a few items and turn the cauliflower rice into a whole meal.
TURN IT INTO A MEAL
Add a can of black beans, ground meat or turkey, shredded cheese, sliced avocado, and possibly a couple of jalapenos to make this Southwest Cauliflower Rice a complete dinner.
That sounded so good that I made a copycat recipe to serve as my main course! Check out my Skillet with Beef and Cauliflower Tacos.
SOUTHWEST CAULIFLOWER RICE
Southwest Cauliflower Rice is a savory, quick, and easy side dish that can also be dressed up and served as a dinner!
Servings: 4; 3/4 cup each
- 2 cloves of garlic ($0.16)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil ($0.16)
- 4 cups cauliflower rice ($1.66)
- 1 10oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles ($0.50)
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder ($0.15)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano ($0.03)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 2 green onions, sliced ($0.20)
- Garlic should be minced and added to a skillet with olive oil. Sauté for about one minute over medium heat, or until the garlic is slightly softened and fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook for another five minutes, or until the cauliflower is slightly softened.
- Finally, add all of the spices, including chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, as well as the diced tomatoes with green chilies (and all of the juices from the can). Cook, stirring occasionally, for another five minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Taste the cauliflower rice and season to taste with salt or other spices. Serve with sliced green onions on top.
- Serving: 0.75 cup
- Calories: 83.05 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 10.13 g
- Protein: 3.33 g
- Fat: 4.08 g
- Sodium: 456.33 mg
- Fiber: 3.95 g
STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING SOUTHWEST CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Mince 2 garlic cloves. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet. Sauté the garlic for approximately a minute, or until tender and aromatic, over medium heat. Sauté for another five minutes, or until the cauliflower has softened.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper to one 10 oz. can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (with liquids).
- Sauté the cauliflower, tomatoes, and spices for another five minutes, or until the liquid has almost completely evaporated. Taste the cauliflower rice and season it to your liking with salt and other spices. Serve garnished with thinly sliced green onions.