Food: Sweet Potato Tacos
Content-Type: Food Blog
These straightforward sweet potato tacos with chili heat make a delectable vegetarian supper when topped with a creamy avocado lime salsa.
I wanted to re-share with you this old favorite sweet potato taco recipe. These sweet potato tacos are one of those dishes that I’ve been making for a while, but I keep going back to them because they make a satisfying and flavorful vegetarian midweek supper.
What’s not to love about a recipe with a minimal ingredient list and simple instructions? Additionally, I find that roasted sweet potatoes, especially when wrapped in warm tortillas like a huge hug, are such a comforting snack for the winter.
The recipe consists of two steps:
- How to prepare the avocado yogurt sauce: Just combine Greek yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a blender. The recipe below offers a cashew cream substitute if you’re vegan. The yogurt could easily be replaced with vegan mayo. Add some cilantro to the sauce for a herbaceous flavor. If you prefer your food hot, you might want to taste-test by adding a piece of jalapeno. If you wanted to occasionally switch things up, this Creamy Chipotle Sauce would also be fantastic on these tacos.
- Sweet potatoes are roasted in olive oil with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
I’m done now! Simply put the sweet potatoes, black beans, and sauce on the tacos. This time, I added some pickled onions to the top of mine. In the past, I’ve added more diced avocados on top of them.
Last but not least, I always, always, always sprinkle a lot of lime juice over my sweet potato tacos to give them extra zing!
AVOCADO SWEET POTATO TACOS
Easy to prepare vegan or gluten-free, these sweet potato tacos make a wonderful vegetarian midweek meal.
Serves: 2 to 3
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 to 6 tortillas, I like these white corn and wheat tortillas or homemade tortillas
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, drained, and rinsed
- Lime slices, for serving
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
AVOCADO YOGURT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 scallions, diced
- Crumbled feta or Cotija cheese
- Pickled onions
- Microgreens or fresh cilantro
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cover a sizable baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out on the baking sheet after tossing them with olive oil, chili powder, salt, and pepper. 20 minutes of roasting, or until golden brown.
- How to prepare the avocado yogurt sauce: Combine the yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice, and a couple of liberal pinches of salt and pepper in a small food processor. till smooth, pulse. Adjust seasonings based on taste. Up until use, keep chilled.
- Place a spoonful of the sauce on each taco, followed by the roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and any other toppings. Add salt, pepper, and lime wedges for seasoning.
*Yogurt can be replaced with cashew cream for vegans. until creamy, blend: 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews soaked in 1/2 cup water for at least one hour. (Also leave off the cheese)
**As an alternative, use GF corn tortillas.