Who is Vinny Gough?
Vinny Gough began his career as a sprinter and rugby player before an injury one day made him reevaluate his outlook on life.
He was inspired by his forward-thinking nature and drive to succeed to become one of the greatest WFBB professional athletes the world has ever seen.
Short Career of Vinny Gough
Vinny Gough overcame obstacles, developed an incredible physique, and did all of this while working tirelessly to earn multiple accolades, certificates, and university degrees. And he doesn’t appear to be slowing down.
Body Measurements of Vinny Gough
|Full Name:||Vinny Gough|
|WEIGHT:||205 – 215lbs (88.5 – 93.0kg)|
|PROFESSION:||Bodybuilder, Fitness Model, Personal Trainer, Writer, Fitness Coach|
- Web Pro Fitness World Champion
- Personal Trainer, Fitness First, Baker St, London City
- My Protein nutrition sponsored athlete
- BA Honours degree in History and Geography from UCD.
- Poliquin PICP L2 ‘strength and conditioning coach.
- BioSignature Practitioner, specializing in hormonal balancing in the body to best and most efficiently, lose body fat, in certain areas of the body.
- Functional Nutritionist specialist
- Cover model (being on the cover of ‘Men’s Running UK’ ‘Gloss Magazine in the US and DNA magazine in Australia) before deciding to try physique competitions.
- Published writer of fitness articles for ‘The Evening Herald’, ‘Gym Magazine’ and ‘The Irish Independent
- The first Physique show entered and won in November 2014 called NIFMA. Then competed in the WBFF show in Denmark in May 2015 and placed first and earned his ‘Pro Card’
Vinny Gough began his athletic career as a sprinter in high school. He also liked playing rugby. He’s always been driven to stay in shape and outperform his rivals. He would walk to his neighborhood gym at 6 a.m. every morning before school and train there.
Vinny had to quit the sporting world due to an unforeseen injury, but not the bodybuilding world. He discovered himself in this field.
As he worked diligently to complete his university studies and become a personal trainer, he soon began to understand more about diet and fitness.
He is a BioSignature Practitioner who specializes in hormonal balancing in the body, a personal trainer, the WBFF Pro Fitness World Champion, a strength and conditioning coach, and last but not least, a cover model.
He has a BA honors degree in history and geography.
Vinny has accomplished a great deal in his relatively short career. He became one of the top WFBB athletes in recent years thanks to his passion and perseverance, which brought him great success on a global scale. He is still working as a personal trainer now in addition to several other fitness-related fields.
Vinny enjoys using split routines to exercise as other bodybuilders do. His preferred training schedule consists of an hour of cardio every other day and one body part per day.
Six days a week of cardio might be added if he needs to lose a bit more weight.
Here’s Vinny talking about how the diet is important for lean growth and the correct type of training;
“As we all know, abs are made in the kitchen, so eating clean is always good, but when it comes to training my abs, I work the lower abs first because they are the hardest to ‘turn on.’ I like to do hanging hammer raises or reverse crunches on the decline bench.
Then, I work the upper abs with swiss ball crunches. The secret to good ab development is not to use a jerking motion when crunching.
Everything needs to be slow and controlled. I contract hard at the top of each movement and stretch at the bottom.”
Vinny’s Top Three Exercises
- Barbell Squats: King of all leg exercises.
- Overhead Dumbbell Press: I get a better range of motion by using dumbbells for pressing movements.
- Wide Grip Pulldown: This exercise works my back and biceps.
- Barbell Squats 5 x 6-8
- Barbell Squats 5 x 8-10
- Drop Lunges 5 x 16-18
- Lying Leg Curls 5 x 6-8
- Romanian Deadlifts 5 x 8-10
- Weighted Back Extensions 5 x 16-18
- Leg Press 2 x 20
- Lying Leg Curls 2 x 18
- Incline Machine Press 4 x 12-15
- Incline Dumbbell Press 5 x 6-8
- Flat Dumbbell Press 5 x 8-10
- Dips 5 x 16-18
- Cable Crossovers 2 x 20
- EZ-Bar French Press 4 x 6-8
- Decline Bench Dumbbell Extensions 4 x 8-10
- Narrow Dips 4 x 16-18
Wednesday: Full Body Workout
- Prowler (5 min)
- Log Press (5 min)
- Sled (5 min)
- Rope Slams (5 min)
- Wide Grip Pulldowns 5 x 12-16
- Neutral Grip Wide Pull Ups 5 x 6-8
- Seated Close Grip Rows 5 x 8-10
- Straight Arm Pulldowns 5 x 16-18
- Face Pulls 2 x 12-15
- Dumbbell Pullovers 2 x 12-15
- EZ- Bar French Press 4 x 6-8
- Decline Bench Dumbbell Extensions 4 x 8-10
- Narrow Dips 4 x 16-18
- Reverse Grip EZ-Bar Wide Preacher Curls 4 x 6-8
- Seated Dumbbell Curls 4 x 8-10
- Hammer Curls 4 x 16-18
- Standing Cable Curls 2 x 12-15
- Tricep Pushdowns 4 x 12-15
- Overhead Dumbbell Press 4 x 10-12
- High Incline Shoulder Press 5 x 8-10
- 45 Degree Shoulder Press 5 x 10-12 reps
- Seated Lateral Raises 5 x 20
- Bent-Over Rear Delt Fly’s 4 x 10-12
- Machine Rear Delt Fly’s 4 x 12-15
- Garhammer Raises 4 x 10-12
- Hip Raises 4 x 12-15
- Cable Crunches 4 x 5 x 20
Vinny Gough enjoys making adjustments and refeeds during the off-season. But he will pay a little more attention to how and what he eats during the months when he needs to train for contests or picture shoots. Vinny, though, is one of the fortunate ones who can consume a lot of carbs all year long without making too many sacrifices.
- Meal 1: 7 ounces Steak, 3 ½ ounces Spinach, 3 Poached Eggs, 1 cup Strong Coffee and Sparkling Water
- Meal 2: 3 ½ ounces Oats, 1 Scoop Whey, and ¼ cup of Berries
- Meal 3: 5 ½ ounces Chicken Breast, 4 ½ ounces Basmati Rice, and 3 ½ ounces Broccoli
- Meal 4: Intra Workout BCAA’s
- Meal 5: 3 ½ ounces Oats and 1 Scoop of Whey
- Meal 6: 5 ounces Cod, 4 ½ ounces Basmati Rice and 3 ½ ounces Green Beans
- Meal 7: 5 ounces Turkey, 5 ½ ounces Sweet Potato, and 3 ½ ounces Asparagus
Vinny’s Top Supplements
- Fish Oil
“I’ve always had somewhat of an addictive personality, and whatever I pursue, I get completely wrapped up in.”
Influences and Idols
Vinny acknowledges having an addictive personality, which causes him to become completely absorbed in any task he chooses to concentrate on.
All of his accomplishments at such a young age demonstrate this. It’s safe to assume that he is internally motivated.
What Can Vinny Gough Teach us?
It’s difficult not to be in awe of Vinny’s accomplishments given his pure willpower, dedication, and hard work.
There is much to be gained from Vinny’s way of living, including his work as a fitness trainer, his several academic degrees and training certifications, and the extra advantage of his BFF fitness pro athlete award.
You too can succeed if you possess the same level of fervor, intensity, and resolve.