This thick and delicious ham gravy is made with cream.
This side dish is really simple to prepare, using only four ingredients. Finish your ham and mashed potato meal with a big helping of this delectable ham gravy.
What Makes Ham Gravy So Delectable?
- Only four components are required! FOUR! Keep those wonderful ham drippings in mind the next time you bake a ham because they’re the star of the show. Add them to a saucepan with butter, flour, and milk, and you’ll have a delicious homemade ham gravy in minutes.
- That meal of ham, mashed potatoes, and toppings will be elevated to new heights! This gravy is full of flavor and will make an already excellent dinner even more so.
- Traditional turkey or chicken gravy is given a delightful twist with ham gravy. If you’re anything like me and think turkey gravy is one of the finest aspects of every holiday, you’ll love this ham gravy! It’s as thick and creamy as any other gravy, but with a little smoky flavor that will make you salivate.
Ham Drippings – The liquids generated when you cook your ham are bursting with flavor! Whatever you do the next time you make a ham, don’t throw away the drippings.
They impart all of the ham gravy’s flavor! Instead of baking an entire ham, you may use one cup of rendered bacon fat to make this ham gravy.
Whole milk – This is what gives your gravy its wonderfully rich, creamy texture. This gravy is thickened with whole milk yet still pourable. You don’t have any whole milk? Chicken broth can be substituted.
- Keep an eye on the temperature of the butter and flour because they can easily burn. Start with low-medium heat and work your way up to medium heat, depending on how hot your stove becomes.
- You can season this dish however you like! I find that the ham drippings are flavorful enough that I don’t need to season with salt or pepper. However, after the final step, taste your gravy and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Do not turn away! The entire recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare, and the gravy thickens fast. Whisk your gravy continuously until it reaches a thick consistency. If it becomes too thick, add a splash of milk to get the desired consistency.
Creamy Ham Gravy
|5 minutes to prepare
5 minutes to cook
10 minutes total
This thick and delicious ham gravy is made with cream. This side dish is really simple to prepare, using only four ingredients. Finish your ham and mashed potato meal with a big helping of this delectable ham gravy.
- 1 cup ham drippings see Notes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk see Notes
- Small saucepan
Instructions For Ham Gravy
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the ham drippings and butter until the butter has melted.
- Whisk in the flour for around 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and whisk constantly for 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Ham Drippings: Ham drippings are the liquids that a ham releases when baking and can be found at the bottom of the baking pan. You can use reduced bacon fat for ham drippings if you don’t have any.
- Instead of whole milk, you can use chicken broth or 2 percent milk.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 241kcal, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 11g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 38mg, Sodium: 142mg, Potassium: 8mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 118IU, Calcium: 92mg, Iron: 1mg, Net Carbs: 1g