$10.70 RECIPE / $2.68 SERVING
Pesto is one of my favorite ingredients to use in dishes since it provides a lot of flavor in one go, which is very crucial on busy weeknights.
This Creamy Pesto Chicken looks very lovely on the dish, yet it’s incredibly quick and simple to prepare.
This is another one of those fantastic “date night” dinners for when you want to impress someone but are also scared and need something simple and fool-proof.
WHAT TYPE OF PESTO SHOULD I USE?
The beauty of this recipe is that it can be made with almost any pesto. This time, I used basil pesto, but a red pesto would also be delicious. Pesto might be pricy, but there are a few kinds that are more reasonably priced. Alessi, Barilla, Classico, or Filippo Berio are some of the brands to look for.
CAN I ADD ANYTHING ELSE?
If you want to kick your recipe up a notch, this beautifully creamy pesto sauce goes well with a variety of toppings. For some extra vegetables, try adding spinach, artichokes, or broccoli.
Add some grated Parmesan cheese on top if you want to make this dish even more decadent. I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of adding bacon as well.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS FOR CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN
This chicken has a really rich and creamy sauce that you won’t want to waste a drop-off, so serve it over pasta, rice, or garlic bread to soak it all up.
Serve the chicken and sauce over a bed of pasta or rice, or in a bowl with crusty bread for dipping.
Because the sauce is so rich, you’ll want to serve something light and refreshing on the side, so this is the ideal time to whip up a simple side salad.
CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1.3 lb. total) ($6.59)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.01)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided ($0.32)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced ($0.16)
- 1-pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half ($2.00)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ($0.62)
- 1/4 cup pesto ($0.99)
- Cut the chicken breasts into two thinner pieces with a fillet knife (or pound the chicken to an even thickness then cut each breast in half to create four portions). Season the chicken on both sides with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, heat a large skillet. When the pan is heated, add 1 tablespoon of oil and swirl it around to coat the surface. Cook the chicken in the skillet until golden brown and cooked through on both sides (about 7-10 minutes total). Place the chicken on a plate that has been cleaned.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil, minced garlic, and halved grape tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes soften and lose their shape.
- Stir together the heavy cream and pesto in the skillet with the tomatoes. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes. Taste the sauce and season with salt or pepper to taste.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, along with the tomatoes and sauce, and toss to coat. Allow the chicken to heat through in the sauce for just a few minutes more. Serve immediately.
- Serving: 1 serving
- Calories: 415 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Protein: 34 g
- Fat: 28 g
- Sodium: 403 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
CREAMY PESTO CHICKEN – STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Two boneless, skinless chicken breasts should be chopped into two narrower pieces (or you can pound the chicken to an even thickness and then cut each piece in half horizontally to make four portions). Season both sides of the chicken with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan once it’s heated and swirl it around to coat the surface. Cook the chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through on each side (7-10 minutes total). Transfer the chicken to a platter that has been cleaned.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 pint of halved grape tomatoes, and 2 garlic cloves (minced). In a skillet, sauté the tomatoes and garlic for a few minutes, or until the tomatoes soften and lose their structure.
- In a large skillet, combine 1/4 cup pesto and 1/2 cup heavy cream. To blend, whisk everything together. Bring the sauce to a moderate simmer. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and toss it around in the sauce. Simmer the chicken in the sauce for a few minutes longer, or until it is thoroughly heated.
You’ll want to lick your plate since this sauce is so creamy and delicious!