This recipe for Sticky Chicken Drumsticks straddles the line between family-friendly and affordable.
It’s SO simple to make, requiring only a small number of ingredients to cover chicken drumsticks in a barbecue glaze.
After being roasted to a golden brown, these drumsticks are served with baked mac and cheese. They have a zesty, sticky, and crisp exterior crust and a luscious, moist center.
Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
Forks are never required when eating wonderful breaded oven-fried chicken, Cuban mojo chicken, or large family packs of drumsticks! Go for it!
The sauce ingredients for this recipe include honey, barbecue sauce, garlic, and mustard, which is the best part. Most of them are probably already in your pantry. This recipe’s glaze works well on baked drumettes or wings as well.
Chicken drumstick preparation:
- Combine the sauce’s components (per the recipe below).
- The sticky sauce should be brushed or coated on the drumsticks.
- Reapplying the sauce halfway through baking can help it get golden brown. If desired, broil.
Since these sticky chicken drumsticks are so adaptable, almost anything goes with them! We enjoy serving this dish with a side of brown rice and a simple tossed salad.
- BBQ Sauce: Use any kind or brand of BBQ sauce. Making your barbecue sauce is fairly simple if you don’t already have any.
- Honey: If you don’t have any honey, you can use 1/4 cup of brown sugar instead.
- Garlic: No available fresh garlic? substitute garlic powder. Since 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder is equal to one medium-sized minced garlic clove, approximately 1/2 teaspoon will do.
How long chicken drumsticks should be baked
Allow the oven to cook the food for about 45 minutes. You might require a little more or less. Your best friend when it comes to cooking poultry is a meat thermometer.
The safe temperature for poultry is 165°F in the center; when taking the temperature, take care not to touch any bones.
Don’t have a meat thermometer? Test for doneness by cutting into the flesh with a fork and look for three things to tell if your drumsticks are ready:
- If the juices run clear
- Also, If using a fork, the meat can easily be separated from the bone
- If there is nowhere pink.
A family meal of drumsticks is a relaxed affair where straightforward, hearty side dishes will enhance the robust flavors of sticky baked drumsticks.
Serve alongside creamy mashed potatoes with garlic, baked beans with bacon, or creamy coleslaw. Drumsticks of chicken go great with pull-apart garlic bread or cheesy biscuits.
Sticky Chicken Drumsticks
Baked until golden brown with a sticky glaze are chicken drumsticks.
|ten minutes to prepare
45 minutes to cook
period: 55 minutes
servings: Six portions
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup honey or brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Set the oven to 400 °F.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
- Place chicken on a pan with parchment paper and brush with sauce. a 20-minute bake.
- More sauce should be brushed on, and the chicken should be well-coated. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165°F and the sauce is sticky.
Transfer to a pan lined with foil and broil on low for 2-3 minutes to brown the skin, if desired.
If desired, add green onions as a garnish.
In this recipe, bone-in chicken thighs can be used as an alternative.
Calories: 371 | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 677mg | Potassium: 463mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 197IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg