Grilled tequila lime chicken taco salad with lime-infused avocado crème, honey drizzle, and alcohol.
I’m aware that this post is being published at the last minute because of my overindulgence in bowls of churro ice cream and spicy shrimp.
But if you’re stuck for recipes today for festivities, tomorrow for no particular reason, or this weekend for whatever reason, this is for you!
If tequila isn’t your favorite drink, believe me when I say that you won’t be able to get enough of it in Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad.
Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad
Tequila chicken: why? Well, I need to do something with the bottle of tequila because there have been so many margaritas flying around in my house lately (not that I’m complaining or anything).
Aside from the fact that my husband dislikes it and the rest of my household is made up of young children, I drink it alone.
After today is gone, I imagine some of us will still have some empty bottles lying around. Wait. unused alcohol? WHAT?
You all are aware of how much I enjoy incorporating dressings into marinades.
I did, however, add some boozy marinade I had set aside before marinating the chicken to this avocado crema. Do not shout at me. Here, no one gets poisoned.
Boozed chicken was the first thing to hit my new grill pan as I broke it in to help me cook better (wait….). Salutation grill pan. Before the chicken made it to the salad, we stood over the hot plate, eating while fanning ourselves.
Write this post, I had to go buy MORE chicken and marinate it once more. Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad becomes even more sensitive thanks to the Tequila, and the honey caramelizes them to create a crunchy exterior.
Then, to maintain the taco vibe, I toasted some flour tortillas in a different skillet until they were golden and chopped them into strips. It is entirely optional and well worth it.
Continue to submerge in a rich avocado dressing and get ready to have your mind blown.
Naturally, I’m going to recommend serving these with fruit- or plain-flavored margaritas. or either.
INGREDIENTS of Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1/2 cup lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/3 cup Tequila
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, chopped (or Cos lettuce)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 4 mini tortilla wraps
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 reserved Tequila Marinade (see instructions below)
- salt to taste
INSTRUCTIONS for Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Taco Salad
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a big, shallow basin.
To use later in the avocado crema or dressing, pour 1/4 cup of the marinade into a jug or cup and store it n the refrigerator.
- If time permits, add the chicken fillets to the marinade in the bowl and let them sit for two hours (or overnight).
- Cook chicken fillets in a grill pan or skillet heated to medium-high heat for about one minute on each side, or until they are golden, crispy, and well cooked (grill in batches to prevent excess water from being released.) Cooked chicken should be left aside and given time to rest.
- After wiping the surface of the pan with a paper towel, add another teaspoon of oil and fry the pepper strips until they are cooked to your liking.
- Avocado, yogurt (or sour cream), the saved tequila marinade, and salt to taste should all be combined in a blender and blended until smooth while the chicken and peppers are cooking. Add a couple of tablespoons of water or milk to make it thinner in consistency if needed.
- Optional: Heat tortillas in a separate pan over low heat until they are tender and well-warmed Transfer to plates that have been warmed up, then slice.
- Prepare a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, and sliced chicken. Serve with lime wedges and taco strips and drizzle with the avocado dressing.