This Whole30 chicken tortilla-less soup is flavorful and simple to make! This creamy, spicy, and low-carb Mexican soup is easy and filling.
What Gives This Recipe Its Flavour?
- It’s ridiculously simple: put (nearly) everything in the Instant Pot, simmer for 18 minutes, dice the chicken, and then add the rest of the ingredients. In little time, and with very little effort, you’ll have a complete lunch on the table!
- It’s creamy, hearty, and spicy, making it an excellent one-dish meal for the winter months. This Mexican soup can even be meal prepped ahead of time for a busy week! I love having this delectable soup on hand for a quick lunch.
- With only 8 grams of net carbs per serving, it’s also low carb and keto-friendly! This Whole30 chicken tortilla-free Instant Pot soup is suitable for a range of diets. It’s about as nutritious as a soup can get!
Powdered Chipotle Peppers — Chipotle chiles that are Whole30 compliant have yet to be discovered. As a result, we utilize chipotle pepper powder to add a dash of that characteristic flavor to this soup.
If you’re not doing the Whole30, simply replace the powder with 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce. Also, depending on your spicy preferences, you can use as much or as little chipotle as you desire.
Full-Fat Coconut Milk — The coconut milk lends an irresistibly creamy texture and flavor to this Whole30 Instant Pot chicken tortilla-free soup! Don’t worry if you don’t like coconut; the flavor is scarcely discernible in this delicious recipe. Also, for that thick, velvety texture, be sure you use full-fat coconut milk!
- If you’re not doing the Whole30, feel free to add some shredded cheese! This dish is also delicious with a side of tortilla chips for added crunch.
- Make this recipe your own by being creative with it. For more greens, add some spinach, kale, or chard. You may also use a pound of browned and drained ground beef in place of the chicken!
- If you’re allergic to coconut, substitute cashew cream for coconut milk. In a high-powered blender, mix 1 cup raw cashews with 3/4 cup water until smooth. This non-coconut alternative is also Whole30 approved!
Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
|5 minutes to prepare
Cooking time: 20 minutes
20 minutes to apply pressure
45 minutes in total
This Whole30 chicken tortilla-free Instant Pot soup is flavorful and simple to make! This creamy, spicy, nutritious, and low-carb Mexican soup is super quick and filling.
For the Soup
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 ½ pound
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 10-ounce cans of tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth Whole30-compliant
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3 teaspoons chipotle pepper powder 1 teaspoon for mild, 3 teaspoons for hot
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 zucchinis chopped or cut into ½-inch half moons
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream whisked until smooth
For the Garnish
- fresh avocado slices
- red onions sliced thin
- fresh cilantro chopped
- coconut cream
- lime juice
- shredded cheese if not paleo or on Whole30
- tortilla strips if not paleo or on Whole30
- Instant Pot
Instructions For Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
- Season boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In the Instant Pot, place the chicken breasts. Add the other ingredients, one by one, until you reach the zucchini.
- Place the lid on the pot and secure it. Cook for 18 minutes on high pressure. Allow ten minutes for the pressure to naturally release before using the manual release. Remove the chicken breasts and pour in the coconut milk. Stir everything together in the Instant Pot’s Sauté setting.
- Return the diced or shredded chicken to the soup. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can use a slow cooker to prepare this Whole30 chicken tortilla-free soup. Except for the coconut milk, combine all ingredients in the order stated. Cook for 7 hours on low heat or 4 hours on high heat. Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and dice them. Return the chicken to the slow cooker after adding the coconut milk. Garnish with garnishes and serve.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 336kcal, Carbohydrates: 18g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 1232mg, Potassium: 1141mg, Fiber: 4g, Vitamin A: 1085IU, Vitamin C: 35mg, Calcium: 114mg, Iron: 6mg, Net Carbs: 14g