When you’re short on time, energy, or ingredients, salsa chicken is one of the simplest (and tastiest) chicken recipes around.
Simply season the chicken, then top it with cheese and salsa (of any sort!). It is a fantastic evening supper that the whole family will appreciate and is ready in just a little over 30 minutes!
Why This Recipe Is Our Favorite
What’s not to love about highly flavorful, super simple, and super flexible food? Simple to bake, top, and season!
Dinner can be made with a package of chicken breasts, a few jars of salsa, and some cheese. This recipe actually is universally applicable!
Although boneless thighs can be substituted, this recipe asks for chicken breasts.
Taco seasoning, either bought or produced. By adding some cayenne or perhaps chipotle powder, you may up the spiciness.
Your choice of salsa will bake into the chicken, making it incredibly juicy. To add a sweet and sour twist, try pineapple salsa. Add salsa verde on top for more heat.
Add some extra flavor by topping with Monterey Jack or pepper jack cheese, or cheddar for a traditional overly cheesy version.
How to Prepare Chicken Salsa
You can do this in as little as 1-2-3 (don’t worry, we won’t tell).
- Chicken is tossed in taco seasoning (I prefer homemade).
- Add salsa on top (any kind).
- Bake as directed in the recipe below, top with cheese, then broil until bubbling and melted!
Suggestions for Serving
- include your preferred toppings
- rice cut into slices and served taco-style with tortillas and a side of vegetables (this is a great way to stretch it to feed a crowd)
- Burritos can be created by adding rice and beans.
- Salsa Chicken can be served as leftovers over nachos or in a taco salad for lunch.
The ideal meal for a busy weeknight is this simple, delicious chicken recipe!
|ten minutes to prepare
26-minute cook time
duration: 36 minutes
portions: 4 portions
- 4 small chicken breasts 5-6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa of any kind
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or Monterey jack
- Turn on the 375°F oven.
- Taco seasoning is tossed with chicken breasts.
- Add salsa to each chicken breast.
- Bake the chicken for 25–30 minutes, or until it reaches 165°F.
- Add cheese, then broil for one to two minutes.
- You can optionally include your preferred taco toppings.
By switching out the salsa, try hot, medium, or mild to adjust the heat!
For tacos, burritos, or salads, shred leftovers.
Serving: 1chicken breast | Calories: 412 | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 1455mg | Potassium: 1234mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1092IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 254mg | Iron: 2mg