The brilliant color of this slightly sweet beet hummus appeals to me. Its flavor is enhanced by a pinch of cumin and coriander, making it an enticing appetizer or snack!
This beet hummus is delicious; it’s somewhat sweet but not overly beety. When I first cooked this, Jack, our resident beet hater, was apprehensive, but he ended up loving it.
But it’s the color that truly gets my attention. It’s so colorful and brilliant – precisely what I want to eat when the days are dismal and grey in the middle of winter.
Okay, that’s an exaggeration; it’s actually quite sunny today. If the weather is gloomy where you are, try this beet hummus dish.
Ingredients for Beet Hummus Recipe
You only need ten simple ingredients to make this recipe:
- Beets: Preheat oven to 400°F and roast until fork tender.
- Garlic: It gives the dish a spice and depth of flavor.
- Chickpeas: Without them, hummus wouldn’t be hummus!
- Extra-virgin olive oil and tahini: To make a creamy, rich final dip, combine all of the ingredients.
- Water that is warm: A sprinkle of water loosens the dip, allowing it to combine to creamy perfection.
- Cumin and coriander are two spices that go well together. Although the spices are listed as optional, I highly recommend using them to give the hummus a delightful depth of flavor.
- A pinch of salt and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper: Finally, the finishing touches!
After the beets have been roasted, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and puree until the hummus is smooth. Serve with fresh vegetables, bread, pita, or crackers. Enjoy!
|Preparation time: 10 minutes
Time to cook: 40 minutes
50 minutes total
This somewhat sweet beet hummus has a brilliant pink hue that I adore! Serve it as an appetizer with crackers or crostini, or as an afternoon snack with vegetables.
- 2 small red beets or 1 bigger red beet
- 2 cloves garlic
- drained and washed 112 cups of cooked chickpeas
- tahini (tahini) (tahini) (tahini)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2–3 tbsp. warm water
- 12 teaspoon cumin and coriander each (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- 1 toasted and cut small baguette
- a half-dozen radishes (or other raw veggies)
- sesame seeds, 1 tbsp.
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- pine nuts (1 tablespoon)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Drizzle the beet with olive oil before wrapping it in foil with garlic. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the beet is fork-tender, on a baking sheet.
- Peel the beet skins with your hands under running water when they’re cold enough to handle. Place the beet in a blender and chop it up. Blend till smooth with roasted garlic, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and water. If desired, season with cumin and coriander. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with crunchy fresh vegetables or spread on a baguette with sesame seeds, pine nuts, and parsley (all optional).
- Use gluten-free crackers instead of bread to make the recipe gluten-free.