The combination of broccoli and cheese is one of the most traditional flavor combinations in the world.
Everyone like the broccoli when it is prepared in this time-honored, cheesy dish; it brings it to a whole new level. Do not be intimidated to make your own cheese sauce because it is quite simple.
Delicious and Cheesy Accompaniment
The combination of broccoli and cheese is a match made in heaven and is complementary to a wide variety of main courses. You may also try it with meatloaf, chicken breasts roasted in the oven, or breaded pork chops.
I cook everything in just one pan to keep things simple and to minimize cleanup.
This will become an all-time favorite side dish, particularly among the younger guests.
The sauce can be created in a flash and is cheesy and homemade.
Components and Their Many Variations
The combination of broccoli and cheese is delicious on its own, but feel free to experiment with other ingredients if you like!
BROCCOLI A pan is used to steam fresh pieces of broccoli until they are crisp. You may also use frozen vegetables; use whatever you have available (you can even add cauliflower if you like)!
SAUCE To prepare this cheesy sauce, all you need is some milk, cornstarch, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and some salt and pepper to season it.
VARIATIONS Along with the broccoli, you may use up any fresh vegetables you have by steaming some carrots or mushrooms. On top of the cheese, why not sprinkle some bacon bits or frozen vegetables that have been sliced and frozen separately?
How to Steam Broccoli and Cheese
This recipe calls for the broccoli to be steamed or simmered in a short amount of time.
- Broccoli should be washed well and its stems should be trimmed so that they point toward the florets.
- Place the florets of broccoli in a small pan along with a little bit of water.
- Bring to a low boil, then cover and let stand for a few minutes (per the recipe below).
Take the broccoli out of the pan, pour out the small amount of water left in the pan, and then use it to make the sauce. Easy peasy!
Methods for Preparing Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce is ridiculously simple to make and can’t possibly go wrong in any way.
- Whisk milk and corn starch in a skillet (per the recipe below).
- Put the skillet on the stovetop and stir the milk often while it is heating up.
- After the sauce has thickened, add the cheese and mix it until it has melted. Add little salt and pepper to taste.
- To ensure that the broccoli cooks evenly, start with fresh broccoli that has been trimmed, cleaned, and cut to the same size.
- Cook the cheese sauce over low heat while whisking it carefully to ensure that all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Broccoli and Cheese
This recipe for Broccoli and Cheese side dish is sure to become a favorite in your household.
|5 minutes for preparation
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Broccoli and Cheese Ingredients
- 4 cups broccoli
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
Instructions for Broccoli and Cheese
- After it has been washed, broccoli should be cooked in a skillet that does not stick. After adding one cup of water, bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat.
- Cover the broccoli and steam it for three to five minutes. Take it out of the oven and put it in a basin. Cover to keep warm.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch until smooth. Pour into the skillet, then whisk constantly while heating over medium until the liquid begins to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to a low setting, then add the cheese. Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Add some salt and pepper, then pour the mixture over the broccoli.
- The food that is left over can be kept for up to four days in an airtight container. It is recommended to keep leftovers in separate containers.
- You can reheat the cheese sauce in the microwave until it is completely hot, or you can throw it in a pot over medium-low heat and whisk it until it is completely hot.
Calories: 182 | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 255mg | Potassium: 404mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 966IU | Vitamin C: 81mg | Calcium: 335mg | Iron: 1mg