- Food: Sweet Potato Salad
- Writer: Lizzie Green
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This recipe for sweet potato salad is a delicious fall lunch or side dish! It’s flavored with feta cheese, avocado, and a vibrant tahini dressing.
I hope you’re all excited because this sweet potato salad is the first of many fall salads you’ll see from me this season!
Salads are one of my favorite foods all year (who can resist a tomato salad in the summer? ), but fall salads hold a particular place in my heart.
We shift our focus away from summer’s luscious bounty and toward sweeter, starchier vegetables such as sweet potatoes and squash.
After a few months of eating leafless salads with tomatoes and corn, I’m longing a bowl of fall greens such as spinach, arugula, or kale.
Salads made with these fresh greens and substantial autumn vegetables are light and nutritious but still filling.
Some of my favorite ingredients come together in one spot in this roasted sweet potato salad dish. Arugula, feta cheese, pepitas, avocado, tahini dressing, and roasted sweet potatoes are among the ingredients.
I mean, talk about a match made in heaven. The creamy avocado plays off the crisp pepitas, while the tangy feta contrasts with the caramelized sweet potatoes.
The arugula adds a light, fresh touch, and the brilliant tahini dressing brings it all together. I’m not sure anything is better than a sweet potato salad for a fall lunch.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Salad
This sweet potato salad recipe has a great texture and flavor thanks to a few simple ingredients:
- Of course, sweet potatoes! I roast them until the outsides are caramelized and the insides are soft.
- Arugula is one of my favorite soft bitter greens. If you don’t have any arugula, spinach, massaged kale, or baby lettuces might work well instead.
- Avocado — It gives this hearty sweet potato salad a creamy richness.
- Pepitas are great for crunch.
- I love how the tangy flavor of feta cheese complements the roasted sweet potatoes. If you’re vegan, leave out the cheese or substitute it with a few pickled red onions for a pop of flavor.
- Tahini dressing — This tangy, nutty dressing brings everything together! Tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, water, and salt are combined in a simple sauce.
To create this recipe, roast the sweet potatoes and combine the dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Then combine the arugula, roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, pepitas, and feta cheese in a large bowl or platter. Drizzle the dressing over top, and eat!
Suggestions and variations
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool completely before tossing everything together. The arugula will wilt if you arrange the salad while the sweet potatoes are still hot from the oven. Instead, wait until they’ve cooled before tossing everything together. When you consume it, the arugula will still be vibrant.
- At the last minute, toss in the dressing and avocado. This recipe is fantastic for meal prepping for lunch, but if you make it ahead of time, keep the dressing and avocado separate until you’re ready to eat. The salad could become soggy if the dressing is added too soon. Likewise, if you cut the avocado too soon before serving, it will turn dark and bitter. It’ll be excellent if you add them both at the last minute.
- Switch it up! This sweet potato salad dish is delicious as is, but feel free to experiment! To get you started, here are a few suggestions:
- Make a salad with Southwest flavors. Toss the sweet potatoes with chili powder before putting them in the oven. Replace the tahini dressing with cilantro lime dressing or chipotle sauce, and add black beans, red bell peppers, and green onions or pickled red onions to the salad.
- Make it more substantial. This salad is already quite filling thanks to the sweet potatoes, avocado, and pepitas. Toss in a handful of roasted chickpeas, cooked French green lentils, farro, or quinoa to make it even more filling. You could also add roasted broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts to the mix!
- Add something sweet to the mix. With the caramelized sweet potatoes and acidic feta in this dish, dried cranberries, dried tart cherries, or pomegranate seeds would be excellent.
Suggestions for Serving Sweet Potato Salad
This dish for sweet potato salad is a filling and healthful meal! It’s great on its own, but it’s also great with avocado toast, crusty bread, or homemade focaccia.
With a grilled cheese sandwich or a cup of soup like my Tomato Basil Soup, Carrot Ginger Soup, Many-Veggie Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, or Curried Lentil Soup, it’d be delicious. More of my favorite soup recipes can be found here.
This sweet potato salad is also delicious as a side dish. Serve it with your favorite protein or one of these recipes for a light and healthy meal:
- Peppers stuffed
- Best Veggie Burgers
- Easy Black Bean Burgers
- Baked Feta Acorn Squash with Chickpeas and Chimichurri
- Vegetable Frittata
Sweet Potato Salad
|Time to Prepare: 20 minutes
Time to cook: 25 minutes
This recipe for roasted sweet potato salad is a tasty lunch or side dish! If you’re making it ahead of time, save the dressing and avocado for immediately before serving.
- Follow the instructions for the Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Tahini Dressing.
- Arrange the arugula, a sprinkle of dressing, the sweet potatoes, and the feta on a big dish. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the avocado slices before serving. Drizzle with more dressing and sprinkle with pepitas.
- Serve with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.