- Food: Fresh Zucchini Salad
- Writer: Nicolas Howdy
- Content-Type: Food Blog
This recipe for zucchini salad is a beautiful summer side dish! It’s a fresh, delicious recipe that comes together in minutes with only ten ingredients.
This zucchini salad recipe is a visual as well as a gustatory delight! Raw zucchini ribbons coil around crisp pine nuts and fresh herbs, which I like.
It’s salty from the Parmesan cheese, and it’s vibrant from the lemon vinaigrette. Oh, and did I forget to mention? It only needs a few ingredients and takes only a few minutes to prepare.
The recipe comes from my friend Amanda’s new book, Simple Beautiful Food, which is a perfect match. Amanda has been a fan of mine since we met at the launch of the Staub Cookbook, which she also co-authored.
Since then, I’ve been following her Instagram Stories “fridge foraging” series. She prefers simple, easy cooking, but her recipes are incredibly inventive and flavorful.
You can make these in no time, and you’ll always want seconds since they’re so delicious.
Her new cookbook is jam-packed with delectable recipes for weekday breakfasts, Sunday suppers, and everything in between. It isn’t totally vegetarian, but every part contains delicious vegetarian recipes.
For our next weekend brunch, I’ll make the Maitake Mushroom Frittata with Crunchy Microgreens, and for a quick weekday dinner, I’ll make the Parsley Pesto Pasta.
And I have to prepare the Peach, Oatmeal, and Thyme Pie for dessert as soon as peaches are available at the farmers market!
Meanwhile, prepare this zucchini salad dish. It’s beautiful, tasty, and simple to make. It’s something we can’t get enough of recently, and I think you’ll enjoy it as well.
Ingredients for Zucchini Salad
“Simple, lovely food” is exemplified in this zucchini salad recipe. Thanks to these simple ingredients, it’s both gorgeous and tasty:
- Zucchini — If you’re making this dish, avoid using huge zucchini. Smaller zucchini are sensitive and delicate, while larger zucchini are seedy and watery. Slice them vertically into long, thin strips using a sharp knife, vegetable peeler, or mandoline. Use a combination of shaved zucchini and yellow squash for a livelier variety.
- Pine nuts — for a satisfying crunch! To bring out their rich, nutty taste, toast them before adding them to the salad.
- Fresh herbs, such as basil or chives, are recommended by Amanda. I use both, as well as mint leaves for added freshness. Parsley or tarragon would also work well here.
- For a rich, umami flavor, use parmesan cheese. Replace the Parmesan with vegan Parmesan or dollops of creamy vegan pesto to make this recipe vegan. Feta cheese crumbles or goat cheese crumbles would also be excellent.
- Drizzle a lemon vinaigrette over the zucchini ribbons for a bright, zesty flavor. Amanda suggests Meyer lemon juice, but I used normal lemon juice and it turned out perfectly.
Serving Suggestions for Zucchini Salad
This zucchini salad is a refreshing side dish for summer. Serve it with your favorite protein, homemade pizza, or a simple Caprese sandwich. It’s also delicious with pasta (extra points if you make your own noodles!).
|Time to Prepare: 10 minutes
A simple and gorgeous summer side dish, this raw zucchini salad is a must-try.
It is reprinted with the publisher’s permission from Amanda Frederickson’s “Simple Beautiful Food.” Replace the Parmesan with vegan Parmesan or dollops of vegan pesto to make this dish vegan.
- 3 small-medium zucchini, plus 1/4 cup minced shallot in a lemon vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- a pinch of basil
- Optional: shaved Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- Peel the zucchini into thin strips with a veggie peeler. Toss the zucchini with drizzles of the dressing in a large mixing basin, then transfer to a dish.
- If using, garnish with pine nuts, chives, basil, and a few shavings of Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste and drizzle with additional dressing.